Search

Italy in March

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 02:59 PM
wondering

Italy in March

What to expect in Milan and Florence mid-March... Any festivals? Still cold? Rainy? Blossoms? Good deals? And advice appreciated. Thanks in advance!<BR>

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 09:20 AM
wondering

Please help! I'm debating whether or not to join my husband on a business trip. I'm already nervous about the possibility of war, and being unable to get home should something happen. Would it be worth it to put aside my fears and just go, or would the time of year promote a so-so vacation anyway?<BR>

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 10:37 AM
Denise

Go for it. You'll have a great time in italy no matter what the time of the year. Don't let the &quot;what ifs&quot; ruin a potential vacation.

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 07:08 PM
Two

The weather is questionable at that time of year. Don't know of any festivals. But no crowds either.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 04:15 AM
Brah

My husband and I are going to Italy in March for 2 weeks - mostly because it's cheaper that time of year (and we're retired teachers on a budget!) and because the crowds will not be as bad. I guess the weather just didn't play a part in it. If it's too cold to be outside, go inside! SO MUCH TO SEE! Won't be a problem. <BR><BR>Since we have no control over war issues (weather either!) and worry about things accomplish absolutely nothing at all - we will live our lives as full as possible as long as we can! <BR><BR>I hope that you can come to term with your fears and live for today and enjoy it to your utmost! <BR><BR>Travel is so wonderful - if you have an opportunity, don't turn it down.<BR><BR>Best wishes to you.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 05:00 AM
Mariarosa

I have been to Italy 3 times in March. Its winter, so some days will be cold, some days will be overcast, some days will be rainy and some days will be mild and sunny. Much milder than the Northeast in the USA. Up in the mountains, will be colder and sunnier. Rome will be milde. The number of tourists is MUCH lower than in the summer - many more local tourists and school trips than foreign tourists. Overall, its a good time to go, just make sure to pack layers and a weather-proof jacket, scarf, gloves, etc.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 08:26 AM
wondering

OK - so I'm going!<BR>Now ... what to pack, where to go ...<BR>I have absolutely no experience with Italy, although I've been elsewhere in western Europe. We'll be in Milan Thursday/Friday, have the weekend free, and be in Florence Monday/Tuesday. What's the best way to travel between the two cities? Anything we should stop and see in between? Any tips as I begin my research? (At this point, I'm not even sure which region this is considered!) THanks for pulling me out of my ignorance and on the path to knowledge and experience! <BR>

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 08:29 AM
Marj

Weather-wise it can vary considerably. Bring layers and rain gear. When we were there March '01, in Venice it was chilly with a little rain. In Rome it was sunny and 70s-80s. I dont know of any festivals but it is a nice time to travel. There are plenty of tourists but it's still much quietier than the high season.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 04:25 PM
ttt

up

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 04:28 AM
Lorenz

Blossoms, no. Most flowers start blossoming in late April. I was in Umbria in mid April this year &amp; the buds were on the plants, but few flowers. Last year last week of April first week of May, plenty O' flowers, especially the roses. Also the poppies &amp; other wildflowers realy start blossoming then. Even though Italy is great any time of year , if you can schedule the last week or early May, you will be rewarded with beautiful scenes. Much later the crowds realy pick up. It will be cold, especially at night. But if that is the only time you can go, go by all means, never know when you'll get the oppurtunity again.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 10:35 AM
Amy

Wondering...I've posted this before, but March '02 I was in Rome and the Amalfi Coast. I only wore cotton sweaters during the day and a light coat at night. In Rome I was too hot, as it was over 70. Two weeks later it snowed on Easter in Rome, so that's how unpredictable it is. Heading to Florence and Venice this March and will pack the same way, layered clothes mostly, just in case. You will benefit from lighter crowds this time of year; I always go to Europe in March. Got great airfare, but booked it in September. Don't let threat war stop you unless the State Department issues a warning specfically for the country you're going to.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 11:00 AM
Eye Spy

I posted this a few months back for a person who was going to Milan for the first time. A lot of people disagree about Milano. Personally, I love it: museums, energy, people watching!<BR><BR>Brera Gallery (a must):<BR> http://www.brera.beniculturali.it/gallery/index.php I like to go on Sundays when there are less crowds. Check times in advance. Superb collection.<BR><BR>Biblioteca Ambrosiana: Also a must see. Wonderful Old Master paintings and other fine art pieces. World famous.<BR><BR>Museo Poldi-Pozzoli: private art collection from wealthy patron who willed his collection as a museum.<BR><BR>Castello Sforzesco: great historical building/fortress and art collection. Tours in English.<BR><BR>Santa Maria delle Grazie: for Leondardo's famous &quot;Last Supper&quot; be sure to book tickets in advance. Advance reservations required. Unfortunately, even after the recent restoration, the fresco has badly deteriorated; check out the church next door.<BR><BR>Duomo and adjoining Galleria Vittorio Emmanuelle II right next door -- you can't miss this. Prada has a boutique in the center of the Galleria. You can have coffee on the top floor of Rinascente department store adjacent to the Duomo for a great view!<BR><BR>Take a walk around the fashionable via Montenapoleone and adjoining streets for Italy's top names: Armani, Gucci etc.<BR><BR>Have lunch at Peck around the corner from the Biblioteca Ambrosiana.<BR><BR>Stroll around the Navigli district(where the old canals are) for animated evenings and great local restaurants.<BR><BR>Check out: www.comune.milano.it (in Italian). www.museionline.com (click on English flag on the left of home page)

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 11:35 AM
wondering

Thanks so much, Eye Spy, for all the specifics!<BR>Hey, get on home now... so you can be &quot;bored at home!&quot; Or do you have something fun scheduled for tonight?!<BR>

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 12:18 PM
Eye Spy

You're welcome. Milano is the capital of Lombardy (Lombardia). Florence (Firenze) is the capital of Tuscany (Toscana). The best way to get from Milano to Firenze is on the train from Milano Centrale to Firenze Santa Maria Novella. You can check out times (in English) on the Italian Railroad website (Ferrovie dello Stato) at www.trenitalia.com If you take the faster &quot;pendolino&quot; train, you can be in Firenze in 2 hours traveling through the south of Lombardia into Emilia Romagna and into Toscana -- only stopping in the major cities. You can purchase your ticket and reservation for that train the day you depart and at the station. The trains are very nice, clean, efficient and you arrive right in downtown Florence. I usually just pay the nominal extra fee and sit in first class. Compared to other countries, Italy's trains are cheaper. You'll need a reservation though for the 'pendolino.' Have a great trip!

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 03:33 PM
net

Since you have the weekend free I HIGHLY recommend taking the train from Milan to Venice for the weekend. It's my favorite city in the world and it would be a shame to be so close and not see it especially when it's so convenient a train ride. If I recall it was about a 4 hour train ride. Spend the night in this magical city and then head out on a train the following afternoon to Florence (I believe about a 2 1/2 hour train ride). Well worth the effort for the short period of time if you've never been there!<BR>Have a great time!<BR>

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 10:55 PM
Helen

Dear Wondering<BR><BR>I agree with Net - go to Venice for the weekend - and yes, it is about 4 hours train ride. You will never regret it! And you will always remember the first time you walk out of the train station - with the Grand Canal in front of you! That is a sight that will always stay with you! Venice is so beautiful - and get lost in it - as so many people will advise you to do!<BR><BR>Enjoy Italy!<BR><BR>Kindest regards<BR>Helen Malan

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 04:32 AM
colleen

Venice for the weekend is a great idea but an extra 2 days in Florence would be great too as there is soo much to do there. A day trip to Siena (one of my favorite cities) from Florence is a beautiful option as well. The rapid bus takes 75 minutes from Florence. Check out slowtrav.com for lots of great Italy info. Have fun!<BR>Colleen

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 05:47 AM
wondering

Wow! Thanks for all the additional input. Now I hate to miss Venice! But the problem is, I'll only be there a week, and that includes travel days. So my thought was... Day 1 - Travel, Days 2&amp;3 Milan, Day 4 - Travel, Days 5&amp;6 Florence, Day 7 Travel. Can we really fit in more towns? Or should we just enjoy where we are? I've never been to Italy at all, obviously haven't toured Rome, and have always wanted to go to Venice. But this trip has to be confined to business stops and has the time constraints of babysitters back home. So what do you think? Should I just wait until we can &quot;do it right?&quot;<BR>

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 06:14 AM
wondering

Just realized that I misled some of you advisors by changing the schedule by a day. I was thinking of getting to Florence a day early to do the Dario tour with my husband. Perhaps I should spend the extra time and money detouring to Venice for the weekend instead. What do you think?

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 07:00 AM
Eye Spy

You have a lot of options. If you get up early on Day 4 in order to get to Venice as soon as possible, then do try to go there (I'm under the assumption you cannot leave Milan at the end of business on Day 3 for professional reasons). If you cannot, that's fine too. Florence is so wonderful, you'll have plenty of things to keep you occupied. I'm not to keen on tours myself. I think with your time options, you could do your own thing instead of having your time dictated by a tour -- they can be informative, but a good guidebook would serve its purpose as well and you can stroll and see things at your leisure since so much of your time is being taken up by business obligations. As for doing more than the side trip to Venice, I'd stick between Milan and Florence. You can visit other towns like Siena when you have more time and have pretty much exhausted what you want to see and visit in Florence. Don't spread yourself to thin. That is key. If you and your husband don't mind schlepping yourselves around a bit in a somewhat hurried fashion from hotel to train to hotel, then get to Venice if only for one night. You can rest for 2.5 hours on the train back down to Florence for your husband's meetings. What do you think?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -