Italy in December

Search

Italy in December

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2006, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy in December

I will be traveling to Italy for 10 days in mid-Dec. with husband and 2 grown daughters. We fly into Rome and out of Milan. Hubby and I have been to Italy twice, but never in winter. Any suggestions, tips, itineraries, places to stay (B&B's) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 01:35 PM

All shops, stores, ristorantes are open, it is just a different season weather-wise. Rome is far enough south to still be mild and cool, with interspersed rainy and sunny days. Temps are usually in the 50s (+/-). Milano, on the other hand, is cold, gray and often snowy. I was there last winter and it was freezing, just make sure you bundle up and wear layers. Re: lodging, I stay in the city centre and utilize local area transportation. In Milano, I stay frequently at the Hotel Sara, which is a family-owned small hotel near the Piazza/Metro Loreto, and within walking distance to the Corso Buenos Aires (Milano's main boulevard).

In Roma, I stay in the Campo dei Fiori district, off Corso Vittorio Emanuele Blvd, and within central walking distance to all the sites. The Hotel Campo dei Fiori and the Albergo della Lunetta are both good properties that I have stayed at frequently and enjoy.
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your input. What about Florence for a few days, and Milan only for the day before we leave? I bet La Scala has something going on at that time of year. Also, is it unwise to go to small towns/villages in Tuscany or Umbria in December? I realize that will require a car rental. Maybe we should just stick to cities for the daughters' first trip.
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 01:34 PM

I travel to Italy 5-6 times a year, and with my child (6 yrs old). I never rent a car and rely solely on public transportation (busses, trains, etc). So it is entirely feasible to get around everywhere without a car. When we were in Milano, I took a morning train to nearby Verona and then bus from outside train station into the city centre (5-7 mins). It was cold but we were bundled up so alright. Verona is absolutely beautiful and charming, with the shop windows all dressed up and decorations everywhere. Surprisingly, the coastal towns (i.e. the Cinque Terre in Liguria, etc) have more milder winters so you would most likely experience colder temps inland, vs by the ocean. Just lots of rain, wind. Florence is full of Americans and visiting British, so open year round. I am sure it would be beautiful to visit at that time too. Personally, I love Lucca and that is close to Florence and accessible by train too. It is festive and famous for it's walled enclosure, duomo, etc. Christmas is a lovely time to be in Italy, it is so festive and fun, you will have a great time!
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Huitres...Thank you again for your reply. I like the idea of Lucca and Verona, and I will be poring over my maps to find other towns to visit besides Rome and Florence.