Reload this Page >

Italy in December

Search

Italy in December

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 1998, 08:11 AM
Kaz

Italy in December

My husband and I were planning to visit Italy (Rome, Tuscany, Florence, Amalfi Coast etc) in the last two weeks of October but have heard that Oct and Nov are the rainiest. Does anyone know what the weather in the beginning of December is usually like?????

Old Aug 27th, 1998, 12:28 PM
kam

In Tuscany it can be very cold in December---there's snow in the higher elevations of the Appenines and Apuan Alps. We generally travel in October, and I've never found it to be excessively rainy in Italy--maybe a few days, but those are the ones you go to the museums on. The Amalfi Coast is summer time fun---basically resort towns so I think you might rethink that entirely. I would go with October.We leave October 8th and I will pack a raincoat which will probably keep the rain away!! <BR>

Old Sep 16th, 1998, 10:27 AM
Barbara Vesely

I took my first visit to <BR>Rome in midDecember a couple of years ago, and was very glad I did it then! There were virtually no tourist ( I went another time in April and realized how horrible it can be when the city is packed with tourists) The weather in December was pretty good, I think it may have rained once or twice, but we had several beautiful sunny days as well. I've also been to Northern Italy in October and it rained a lot, but we still got a few sunny days too. <BR>

Old Sep 17th, 1998, 07:29 AM
Tony Hughes

<BR>It's cool all over Italy at that time of year, even in the 'heel' of the country. Take some warm clothing

Old Sep 17th, 1998, 10:15 AM
Deana

My husband and I traveled through Italy in December of 1995 around Christmas time. We started in Venice, where it did rain off and on for three days. BUT, there were no tourists at all. One morning we were the only people in St. Marks Square. Bologna was cold, cold, cold. Futher south, though, was quite nice (40's and 50's). The best thing about traveling in Italy in December was seeing what Christmas could be like without all the American commercialization. Very refreshing!