Italy in August - Closed?

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 06:34 AM
Bob

Italy in August - Closed?

My family and I are planning a trip to Italy in August but we are starting to hear from various people that August is not a good time to go because a lot of shops/restaurants are closed? How true is that and how much is closed? <BR>Thanks so much, <BR>Bob

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 06:52 AM
liz

Hi Bob, yes in August some shops and resturants close for holidays, but the majority seem to stay open. We only found a few small galleries and resturants closed so it was no big deal. August is the only time we can travel due to school age kids, work etc. and we would not miss going for any reason. We are returning this August, and are prepared for the crowds of summer. Just make Uffizi and Acadamia ticket reservations and you will bypass the huge lines. Italy is always wonderful! Enjoy

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 07:01 AM
carol

As in France, in Italy, August is the month in which the government mandates that employers, public and private, give employees their vacations. So beware of beach/lake/mountain resort locations--they will be filled to capacity with Italians, and the cities will be relatively emptied of Italians leaving for the country.

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 01:28 PM
Bob

anyone else?

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 03:32 PM
Bob

We were in Rome in August 98. Saw everything we wanted to see and really had no problems with closures. The people said town was less crowded, but it sure seemed crowded to me. If that is when you have to go, go for it. If not, do end September, first of October.