Italy in August

Apr 4th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Italy in August

My husband and I would like to travel to Italy (specifically Venice for 6 nights and Pisa area for 7 nights. We can only travel in July or August (the one downfall of teaching...). I realize it will be hot, but we have travelled to the Carribean in August and are okay with the heat. Please give your insights and recommedations. Is July better than August? Any tourist spots that are a "must see"?
Apr 4th, 2006, 07:47 PM

Imagine the Caribbean without the breeze.
Apr 4th, 2006, 07:58 PM

July is marginally better than August because in August, much of Europe goes on vacation, which means head to Italian resorts or many Italian businesses close.

You'll want to book hotels with air conditioning.

You can stay in the Pisa area and be close to the Mediterranean.

"Must sees" can be found in any tourist guide.
Apr 4th, 2006, 08:45 PM

I have found Italian businesses open in August in the places tourists most often visit. I don't think there is that much difference between the two months so you might base your decision on when you can get cheaper airfare (fares are very high for summer this year.)

Happy planning!
Apr 4th, 2006, 09:05 PM

Hi definitely get air conditioning. I would stay either on the coast or in lucca and do a day trip to pisa. July is better than Aug. Note that in Italy many places close between 12- 2pm even gas stations. We tried to plan our travel times then.
Apr 4th, 2006, 09:46 PM

Been in Italy in July and August, and yes, it can be brutally hot, but in my opinion it is worth it. Just eat more gelato. In July, you can see the Palio, and also in August you can see the Palio (Siena). Go to www.whatsonwhen.com for more specific event listings. We love Italy any month, but July and August are wonderful times to visit. Venice will be steamy and humid, but who cares? You'll be in Venice!
Apr 6th, 2006, 01:18 PM

Yes- eat lots of gelato-and plan your days so you can take long luxurious naps back in your hotel's A.C in the hottest part of the afternoon.
Summer is sweet.