Search

ITALY HOTELS

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 07:10 AM
Michele

ITALY HOTELS

Taking my first trip to Italy with my Mom in November. Has anyone ever stayed at or heard about the following hotels: The Oxford Hotel in Rome on Via Boncompagni, The Hotel Laurus (Best Western) in Florence, and the Hotel Flora in Venice. All information is greatly appreciated. <BR>Thank you in advance. <BR>Michele

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 07:40 AM
marj

The FLora is wonderful, very charming. It came highly recommended to me and we stayed there in March. I did read that some of the rooms may be small. We were in their largest room because we were a family of 4 and it was very comfortable. I am not familiar with the others. You & your mom will adore Italy.

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 08:10 AM
FYI

Haven't heard of those hotels but just wanted to mention that some hotels have no elevators, only stairways. Don't know what your mom's health/mobility situation is so I just thought I'd mention it.

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 08:19 AM
elaine

I agree that the Flora is wonderful, and it does have an elevator. If it still has rooms available for Nov, grab one, although be advised that most of their rooms are not very large, and some of their bathrooms are tiny. If that is a concern, inquire in advance. However, I'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 08:24 AM
elaine

sorry, I didn't notice at first that marj already commented on some of the smallish rooms at the Flora. Some ARE small, but I don't want to overdo that as an issue, because imo the hotel is <BR>a winner in every way

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 01:19 PM
Michele

Thank you all for the info on the Flora. Mom and I thought it looked charming as well. It sounds like we booked a good choice, we already are reserved there for 2 nights. I would like to know how to get to the hotel from the airport in Venice. Those who have stayed there, could you please tell us the easiest route if there is one? I know we need a water taxi, but is it far from the stop to the hotel? Thank you again! <BR>Michele

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 09:11 AM
mimi

We stayed at the Oxford Hotel in 1995. It is a short walk to the Via Vento and the American Embassy. The hotel was very clean, nice sized room, elevator, with an excellent breakfast. My husband is still talking about the donuts they served. There was a bus near by but we walked long distances. You could walk to the Spanish steps, the Borghesie(spelled wrong) gardens with the great museum, and a very long walk to the center of Rome.

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 09:46 AM
Marj

we splurged for a water taxi to get from airport to hotel. The driver knew exactly where the Flora was and took us to the nearest landing (i also emailed the hotel prior to the trip and they had given us transport info as well). It was about a couple of short blocks to the Flora. The boat ride was a real treat after spending the night on airplanes. <BR> <BR>If you want to stay closer to the ancient center of Rome, consider the Santa Chiara hotel (very near navona, pantheon, campo dei fiori, short walk to forum, colliseum, trevi).

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 04:50 PM
Mel

We stayed at the Oxford in October 1997. Very small, dark lobby, but with a nice little sitting room off to the left and a small bar behind that. Run by Italians (go figure) and the bellman didn't speak any English, which became a little problem when we couldn't get our converter to work and couldn't get hot water for several hours the first evening. Room was small, but comfortable and the bathroom was really nice (raised marble tub). As an earlier poster said, the breakfast was really very good and plentiful. Very small, narrow elevator--a one person job. Loved the location and would stay there again. One note: when you exit the hotel and turn right, there's a small grocery store a few doors down. It has about four tables inside on the left. This really sweet older man kept trying to get us to eat there whenever we passed by or stopped in for a bottle of water. We kept smiling and saying "no, thanks." Finally wore us down our last evening and we had the BEST meal of the entire trip! He brought out my first bruschetta and hovered over us while we ate it, reminding us that it was a gift and he wasn't charging us. It was so wonderful. Great spaghetti! Brought his 20-something son over to introduce us and told us he (son) had been to America. Took our picture with him. I don't know if he's still there but, if he is and you stay at the Oxford, Do drop in!