Italy Honeymoon in September

Mar 27th, 2002, 08:21 AM
Yolanda

Italy Honeymoon in September

I wanted to get some opinions about this itinerary in Sept.

-Florence 3 days
-Rome 3 days
-Amalfi Coast 6 days

Logic is try not to do more than 3 locations in a span of 12-13 days. Start off with touristy spots and end in the south by the coast.

Thoughts?

Mar 27th, 2002, 08:23 AM
Meredith

Sounds good, except switch the Amalfi coast to the Cinque terre

Mar 27th, 2002, 08:27 AM
meg

Hi Yolanda
The idea of not cramming too much in is a good one but I think 6 days on the Amalfi coast is rather too long. I'd spend longer in Florence, 3 days in Rome is about right (it's busy and tiring) and then 3-4 days on the coast would be sufficient.

Mar 27th, 2002, 08:42 AM
Howard

I'll disagree. 6 days of a honeymoon on the Amalfi coast in September sounds pretty good to me!

Mar 27th, 2002, 02:30 PM
Shayne

There is easily six days of stuff to do using the Amalfi Coast as a base. You can take day trips to Capri, Naples, Pompeii, and Paestum. You can spend the other two days exploring Amalfi, Sorrento, Positano, etc. and taking in the beach.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 08:06 AM
Carol

I think your itinerary sounds great, but then of course, I spent my honeymoon in September 1999 on the Amalfi Coast (5 days), Rome (2 days) and then London (4 days). It was fabulous.

My only thought when I read your outline was to suggest that you start with Amalfi (I needed serious relaxation right after the wedding) and then go to Rome and Florence where there is more activity, noise, etc.

If you want any suggestions for Amalfi Coast, I'd be happy to share what we did. Renting a car is a great way to go, but you must have defensive driving skills! Those narrow cliff-side roads certainly made for some excitement!

Carol
San Francisco, CA

Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:35 AM
Helen

Yolanda-
the Amalfi coast is lovely. I would definitely spend 6 days there, provided you love fresh seafood, sunshine, astonishing cliffside towns, and are wanting to relax. It's a great place. Sorrento is the busier part of the area - there are some great restaraunts there (Ristorante Caruso, Ristorante Quattro Passi,and definitely check out Vela Bianca - it's tucked away in Marina Piccola, but it's got amazing seafood!). Positano is magnificent... very romantic. Amalfi was alright, didn't like it much though - Positano was better. You can also take a boat to Capri (beautiful hotels, great shopping, Villa San Michele was nice too) or to Iscia. Yes, and you can go to Pompei. I don't recommend driving during your time along the coast- although Naples to Sorrento is fine, the southern side of the coast (the Amalfi coast) really is very narrow, very curvy (route 1 along the northern california coast does not come close to these curves!), and the local buses drive astonishing fast around those corners. Oh, and did I mention that the cliffs are drastically steep, and often there are no guard rails. Also, Florence and Rome are lovely too, but it is rather ambitious, considering that you're on your honeymoon, and probably want to spend most of your time together, relaxing, not trying to pack in all the sites. That said, both Rome and Florence are lovely. Another otion I'd personally prefer, would be to pick either city, and stay there for 5 days, doing day trips to the nearby countryside (Florence is great for this) where you can picnic, do a wine tasting and enjoy married life! Have a wonderful time!

Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:40 AM
hamlet

I think your itinerary is good. You can easily occupy yourself with things to see/do in the Amalfi area for 6 days. However, I think you could also spend 1 or 2 days more in Rome instead of Amalfi. Of course it all depends on what you want to do - and if you've ever been to any of these places already.

Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:01 AM
Marj

Sounds great but I have to say that I think Venice is one of the most romantic places on earth. Anyway you squeeze that in.

Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:03 AM
Marj

excuse my poor typing. it should read 'any way you can squeeze that in"