Search

italy honeymoon

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
italy honeymoon

haven't been on fodors in ages, but it is time to research and book the honeymoon to italy! at the risk of asking too open ended questions, at the moment i am only looking for:
1.hotel suggestions in rome for 3-4 nights, under $250 a night.
2.florence vs. venice for 3-4 nights? which one shouldn't be missed?
4.tuscany rental apartments and towns suggestions for the last week. will we need a car?
grazie!
Old May 16th, 2009, 08:04 AM
ira

Hi Otto,

If it is either Venice or Florence - I suggest Venice.

Old May 16th, 2009, 08:52 AM

Whether you want Firenze or Venezia might have something to do with your personal interests in art and architecture, and history, and your tolerance for being in places where foreign tourists exclusively dominate, or whether you also want some contemporary Italian life during your days and nights. Also, whether you are more comfortable with a meat or a fish diet.

Venezia is definitely the more expensive option.

There is an area of Tuscany that has become extremely popular with car-driving tourists who are moving between Florence and Roma. But it is possible to not only visit that area without a car, it is possible to visit nearby parts of Tuscany and Umbria that lovely and have fewer tourists without a car. Having a great time in Tuscany does not require having a car for most people. It only is a requrement for people who need a car to have a good time.
Old May 16th, 2009, 09:19 AM

Hogwash !
You can see Tuscany without a car, just not well. Of course, if you have a week or more and do not mind a being captive to local bus schedules you can try it.

As for Rome, here are some ideas for you.

BOB’S FAVORITE HOTELS IN ROMA
All are located in the centro historical area of Rome and within a :20 walk of many of the major tourism sights. All prices assume a standard double room:

SMALLER B&BS: Prices will range from 130E to 200E—average 170E
* www.nicolasinn.com Near Colosseum with helpful hosts

www.daphne-rome.com Tasteful B&B in 2 locations—good press

http://www.banchivecchi115.com Nice B&B near Piazza Farnese

FULL SERVICE 3 STAR HOTELS: Prices will range from 150E to 220E
www.albergocesari.it Great location & my wife’s favorite

www.hotelteatropace.com Near Piazza Navona—opened in 2004

www.lancelothotel.com Nice hosts near Colosseum—good reviews

www.hotelsancarloroma.com Near Spanish Steps & shopping area

www.smeraldoroma.com Good location and decent price

www.hotelportoghesiroma.com North of Piazza Navona—has quad

NICER 4 STAR HOTELS: Price range from 240 to 320E
* www.locandacairoli.it Newer Boutique hotel near Piazza Navona

www.hotelpontesisto.it Nice modern hotel near Jewish quarter

http://www.residenzafarneseroma.it Very nice near Piazza Farnese

BUDGET 2 STAR OPTIONS: Prices from 90 to 140E for double in season

* www.hotel-giardino-roma.com Good location and nice people

* www.solealbiscione.it Popular place near Campo de’ Fiori

WILD CARDS: Both have hotel and apartment options near Spanish Steps

www.hotelmozart.com Nice features—great choice for families

www.hotelmodigliani.com Good reviews & friendly owners
Old May 16th, 2009, 09:32 AM

Contrary to bob's explosion, Tuscany is a very large region of Italy which most American tourists, including Bob, have seen only an extremely tiny portion of. Even the parts of Tuscany that Bob touts most often as being car-dependent can be enjoyed without a car. You can't do the same things you can do with a car -- but that can be quite a blessing.

Bob and many American tourists to Italy have a certain sensibility and travel style that having a car enhances. But many people enjoy going to Tuscany without a car -- and they enjoy town like Montepuliciano without a car, and they enjoy far less-touristed places without a car.

It is not everybody's dream of Italy to try to "hit" two or three hilltowns a day while in Italy. It is not the all-purpose definition of seeing Tuscany "well." It is only one style of travel popularized -- I've got to say this -- by over-40 American suburbanites.

Plenty of people other than Americans enjoy Tuscany and see it well without a car.
Old May 16th, 2009, 11:25 AM

otto,
I have a large file on towns in southern Tuscany. It is too big to post but send me an e-mail and I will send it to you. [email protected]

Henry
Old May 16th, 2009, 12:10 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
zeppole - I don't get the impression that the OP wants to see just Montepulciano. The OP stated Tuscany which is difficult to see by public transport.
Old May 16th, 2009, 12:25 PM

Rome? My suggestion, skip it. Head done to the Amalfi coast. Romantic, beautiful, and forever etched in your memory. Florence vs Venice? Well Venice has nothing to do in the evenings except ride around in a boat in the canal. Florence is an absolute must see. A MUST!! You will be so sorry if you miss it. Plan on spending several days there. So much to see and do, including in the evenings. You will love it. I just returned from there and will be returning in September, my 3rd visit within a year. That is how much I love Florence. Have a lovely honeymoon. Ciao!
Old May 16th, 2009, 12:25 PM

To return to the original question (as I read it) -- IF you are going to rent an apartment in Tuscany for the 2nd week, you can easily visit Florence as day trip from there...so maybe you'd want to visit Venice (along with Rome) the first week? That said, my DD and SIL went to Italy (Bellagio, Venice, Florence) for their honeymoon...as I remember they preferred Florence to Venice. BTW, they drove only to/from Bellagio, taking trains the rest of the time.
Old May 16th, 2009, 12:27 PM

Oh, as for the car, not needed. Can't drive them in Florence and you are at risk if you do so along the Amalfi. Take the train from Florence to Sorrento, breathtaking views along the way. Rent scooters in both places. Ciao!
Old May 16th, 2009, 12:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll say you shouldn't miss either Venice or Florence. If you're spending a week in Tuscany, I'd plan at least one full day exploring Florence. I won't get into the debate over public trans v. rented car. It depends on how much ground you want to cover and where you want to go. Here are some links that discuss the options.

http://www.discovertuscany.com/movin.../by-train.html

http://www.discovertuscany.com/movin...ny/by-bus.html

http://www.discovertuscany.com/movin...ny/by-car.html
Old May 17th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

thank you all for your feedback.