Italy/Greece -- questions

Aug 27th, 2003, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Italy/Greece -- questions

Hi all, I'll be taking off in a little more than a week, but I've yet to really plan the trip. I'll have seven (full) days (this excludes travel time) and will be flying in and out of Rome, and I've bought my transatlantic flight ticket.

1. I've been to northern Italy (Rome, Florence, Milan, Venice) and was thinking that I'd travel to the south this time (i.e. Naples, Pompeii, Amalfi Coast, Capri). I'm thinking of devoting three days to this. I'm thinking of splitting the rest of the time between Athens and Santorini.

Thoughts and suggestions and ideas? What would you change?

2. If I go with the above, I'd be flying round-trip between Rome and Athens. Thoughts on how I could do this most efficiently and cheaply?

3. Would it be easiest to fly between Athens and Santorini? (The ferry seems to take quite a while, based on the online schedules I could locate.)

Many thanks.
Aug 27th, 2003, 10:46 AM
ira

Hi,

You have seven days and you want to see "Naples, Pompeii, Amalfi Coast, Capri... and splitting the rest of the time between Athens and Santorini".

When will you go potty?
Aug 27th, 2003, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Was the rudeness warranted?

I don't find it so unreasonable, actually -- though Fodors recommends five days for the Italian portion, I can see a fair amount in three days by cutting out most of Naples, which doesn't interest me so much.

Thanks and no thanks.
Aug 27th, 2003, 11:16 AM

If you only have 7 full days I wouldn't waste time flying to Athens, and then hopping on a flight to Santorini. Then you will have to fly back to Athens from Santorini, and fly from Santorini to Rome. I would really just focus on Naples, Pompeii, Capri. I'm all for active vacations but I just don't see how this could be enjoyable once all the travel time is taken out.
Aug 27th, 2003, 11:23 AM

LOL, Ira!
111op, not rude, just a little joke! It is a rather strenuous itinerary. You will spend a day, I think, getting from Rome to Athens to Santorini, as AP said. That doesn't leave much time. If you are considering this a "check-it-out-for-future-trips" excursion, I guess it's ok. But seems like you'll be spending an awful lot of time in transit.

Search this Thread