Search

Italy? Greece?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 05:44 PM
Desperate!

Italy? Greece?

My wedding is in only 2 months and everything is planned EXCEPT my honeymoon! I've been through northwest Europe- Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Denmark... but i never got to Greece and Italy. Unfortunately, I'm only allowed a week off from work and so I really want to choose one or the other and really be able to enjoy it without feeling rushed. So, which is better? What cities are best? What hotels are affordable but nice? Help me please!

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 05:52 PM
Beth

well, Italy is great. but if you are talking about August I think I would lean towards the Greek Islands. Take a relaxing honeymoon, sightseeing, shopping, lying on the beach, rather than rushing about in Rome and Venice in the high heat. I'd recommend Santorini, Mykonos and Hydra. There are lots of other good choices though.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 08:19 PM
mike

i concur with beth's recommendation...the cyclades are good places to start for r&r; i personally don't know much about italy's eqivalents of the greek islands (perhaps capri, ischia, san remo?) but a week exploring tuscany doesn't sound bad too...we spent about the same time on greece and italy in two separate occasions and i found greece to be generally cheaper...

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 06:55 AM
mari

i am of greek and italian descent and<BR>have been to both countries. i love them both. the greek islands are gorgeous; i stayed on chios and lesvos.<BR>lesvos was very nice not as much of a<BR>tourist attraction as the others and you<BR>are able to take a boat from mytelene,<BR>lesvos to turkey for the day if you<BR>would like. of the two countries, my<BR>preference is italy. i am more familiar<BR>with the greek language and customs but<BR>still felt more connected to italy.<BR>i don't know why. anyway, for a honeymoon, i would probably recommend<BR>a relaxing greek island also, but at some point you must experience Italia!!

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 07:15 AM
Joanne

I too favor Italy, but not in August. I would suggest Greece, both in terms of cost and time of year. The islands suggested in the above posts would all be wonderful for a honeymoon IMO. I personally loved Rhodes, but maybe not the best for a honeymoon.<BR><BR>Congratulations and enjoy your trip!<BR><BR>j

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 04:19 PM
Monica

Thank you everyone. I just wanted to let you know that we are going to Italy- Venice is where we're going to base everything around. Your replies & reading other postings really helped- can't wait!

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 04:52 PM
Sue

Briefly, Greece is just so much fun; I can't imagine anyone not having a good time there!