Reload this Page >

Italy - driving thru the Lake Country

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2000, 11:29 AM
lorraine

We are planning to arrive in Milan in October and drive through the lake area, ending in Venice. Any suggestions, on a scenic route? Would love to add a bit of the Dolomites to the drive, but not sure we would have enuf time (9 day trip-I know trying to cram too much!!!). Anyone have any sugestions?

Old Jul 17th, 2000, 07:02 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Lorraine, Get a good map and find these <BR>towns then get back to me. <BR>Bellagio, Riva del Garda, Ortisei, <BR>Cortina, Venice. I assume you are good <BR>drivers--any experience in Europe?

Old Jul 18th, 2000, 12:35 PM
lorraine

Dear Bob: <BR>Thanks for getting back to me. I have what appears to be a very good map. One change, however: we are first spending a few days (3) when we arrive in Vencice, and then plan to do our scenic drive. We will end up leaving out of Milan (we do not plan on spending any time there). I have driven in Italy before, many years ago and will be travelling with my husband who will drive this trip. If you have any suggestions, would love to hear them!!! thank you!!!

Old Jul 18th, 2000, 12:45 PM
lorraine

Bob: Forry for the confusion, but my original note posted had us starting our trip in Milan - we will be beginning in Venice and leaving from milan. Thanks!

Old Jul 18th, 2000, 03:20 PM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>Lorraine, we were In Lago di Como and Lago di Garda in June (I posted info on here). Absolutely loved the whole area. Be sure you drive around Garda - my favorite, wonderful little walled villages on the shore, nestled into the mountains. Very scenic and charming.

Old Jul 18th, 2000, 07:22 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Lorraine, OK--just reverse the route. <BR>Head north from Venice thru Belluno to <BR>Cortina---the heart of the Dolomites. <BR>Spend the nite here---The Post is a nice <BR>4 star---lots of good hotels---pick one. <BR> <BR>Then, take the road west over the pass to Arraba and then on to the Val Gardena <BR>and the cute village of Ortisei. Again, <BR>lots of good hotels. We like the Anglo- <BR>Engel but the Adler is the best. <BR> <BR>Head south following the wine road just <BR>south of Bolzano thru Appiano and Caldaro, joining the autostrada north of Trento. Exit near Roverto[Mori]to <BR>Lake Garda and the nice resort of Riva del Garda---a great place for 2 nites. <BR>We like the Sole Hotel or the Europa. <BR>Both are near the marina at the extreme NW corner of the lake. <BR> <BR>As you leave here, take the route down the west side of the lake and catch the <BR>autostrada near Brescia. Go west to exit north of Milan for the city of Como. Take the road up the west side of the lake and catch the ferry to Bellagio near Tremezzo. Try to stay at <BR>the Hotel Belvedere on the hill above <BR>the town, or the Hotel Du Lac on the Lake thru the arch. You will love this town---time for la dolce vita. <BR> <BR>Day trip to Lugano if you can from here. <BR>Of course, boat to Varenna and Mennagio. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps. This is a nice 5 day <BR>itinerary for natural beauty in Italy. <BR>October will be a good time--have fun. <BR>

Old Jul 20th, 2000, 08:03 AM
lorraine

Bob - Sounds perfect, just the kind of info i was hoping for. Thank you so very much!

Old Jul 20th, 2000, 11:30 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Lorraine, Bring me a bottle of Pinot <BR>Grigio from Trentino---hopefully to be <BR>consummed at Amelia Island FL with you.

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 12:20 PM
Rex

to the top - - for Lorraine <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 12:27 PM
Casper

And, here's a link, for you to directly get at it... <BR> <BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/crossro...meset&active=5 <BR> <BR>Casper