Italy: Cinque Terre by Ferry??

May 16th, 2017, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Italy: Cinque Terre by Ferry??

Tentative plans are to drive here from our hotel in Tuscany. Does anyone know if you can enjoy the water views of this area by ferry? And can you give any words of wisdom about the logistics of actually doing that? I am not a hiker.
May 16th, 2017, 11:26 AM

We were there 5 days in May one year and the seas were too rough for ferries to dock even though the weather was sunny and gorgeous. We needed to hike or take the train.
May 16th, 2017, 12:05 PM

Trains trundle between each of the four seaside towns and in season ferries too. Look into passes you can buy for the trains - one walk you can do, if open, is between Riomaggiore and the next town - a flat boardwalk-like seaside promenade of just a few miles.
May 16th, 2017, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

TY both. We will be there in mid-October and really want to see the area from the water. I appreciate knowing that there IS one area I can walk.
May 16th, 2017, 12:46 PM

http://www.cinqueterre.eu.com/en/cin...via-dell-amore

It's just one kilometer long! And now re-opened I guess in 2017.

Earlier this year local officials floating the idea of limited the number of tourists in the CT but this has been put off so no need to apply to visit ahead of time.
May 16th, 2017, 02:26 PM

People frequently post that the flat path between Riomaggiore & Manarola (the next town) has been closed for some years now. I am not sure it is reopened.

Even on a calm, windless day, if the ferry boats are running passengers still need to be able to negotiate getting onto and off a rocking boat, which can require a long or steep step. The boat operators help, but you still need to be a bit nimble. Also, many train platforms in Italy require negotiating steep, very high steps getting on or off the train.
May 16th, 2017, 03:03 PM

People frequently post that the flat path between Riomaggiore & Manarola (the next town) has been closed for some years now. I am not sure it is reopened. >

From the above official looking local site:

Even baby carriages and wheel chairs can do this CT hike - but may still need to buy CT hiking permet needed to use trails? If so could be expensive if just do a kilometer.