italy car rental

Search

italy car rental

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
italy car rental

We are 2 couples flying into Rome late May for 2 days (1st trip) and then heading by car to San Gimignano for a week. We leave Italy out of Florence by train to head to Germany. Any suggestions or advice about the best/easiest way to get out of Rome on a Sat a.m, train to somewhere else and pick up a car rather than driving in/out of Rome? Where?Any advice? We thought of train from Rome to Florence and picking up car there as we leave out of Florence but are having a hard time tryng to figure out where and from which agency in Florence to rent the car. We are open to another city for pick-up rental, chose Florence because we don't know what else to consider? All the car rental info is quite helpful but rather overwhelming. Appreciate you comments. Grazie.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 01:58 PM

Orvieto.

Easy to reach by train and a beautiful town (and cathedral) to visit before you take hold of the car.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 02:11 PM
ira

The Rome airport is another possibility.

Old Mar 26th, 2009, 02:14 PM

Don't train to Florence to pick up the car. Florence can be a difficult city to navigate and you will be backtracking.

I suggest you get an early start and take the train to either Orvieto or Chiusi and pick up the car there. You can then drive on to San Gimignano through some of the most beautiful countryside, perhaps even stopping for lunch along the way. You can also take the fast route (~2 hours from Orvieto) on the A1 if you are pressed for time.

Be sure to pick up a good map beforehand with a 1cm = 2km.

Rent through Autoeurope or Kemwel. You can book online and also call them with any questions and they will assist with your booking. Both are great companies.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 02:18 PM

We picked up a rental car in Florence.
That was stupid.. We wont be doing that again..

Also it was so hot, even in Sept. that I poured a whole bottle of water down the front of my shirt outside of the rental office. Boy did i get some funny looks. Mainly those of jealousy from ones not brave enough to do the same...

Old Mar 26th, 2009, 02:24 PM

Orvieto or Chiusi. Airport would work, too, but there will be a surcharge for an airport pickup.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much!