Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy - Can you help me fine tune my trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2004, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello all. We are flying in and out of Rome (already set) for an 11-day trip. Here is the macro itinerary so far:
Day 1 - Arrive Rome around noon (stay Canali ai Coronari)
Day 2 - Rome
Day 3 - Rome
Day 4 - Train to Venice (stay Locanda Orseolo)
Day 5 - Venice
Day 6 - Venice
Day 7 - Train to Florence (stay Orso de Medici)
Day 8 - Florence
Day 9 -Easter Sunday. I was thinking here that we might have had enough of cities at this point and we might leave on Sun afternoon to spend part of Day 9 and Day 10 somewhere between Florence and Rome. Our flight leaves at 12:30 from Rome on day 11. We would rent a car as we leave Florence and I guess return it at the Rome airport. Does this seem like a good idea and do you have an idea of where we could stay? Can we get to Rome for a 12:30 flight from an outlying town? I would prefer to spend two nights in the same place. Alternatively, we can spend the evenings of Day 7, 8, 9 in Florence and then drive on Day 10 back to Rome and stay near the airport. Thanks for all suggestions.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there, I HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend spending time in Tuscany especially in either Siena or San Gimignano. Both towns are south of Florence and on route to Rome. These are beautiful places were you can get away from the big cities.
Enjoy,
Dilly
[email protected]
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 10:28 AM

Hello Suki, you have a very good start to a nice trip--I like your hotel choices. Sure, you can drive south for 2 nites and still get to FCO in time. But, your car rental may be a bit high for just 2 days--3 days are often the same--whatever. But, you want to be as far south as Orvieto for that last nite. You can be at FCO in about 1:30 from outside Orvieto---look at Locanda Rosati. As for Tuscany, you can see some hill towns as you transition south, but you may want to spend that nite near San Quirico or Montalcino--it will be tough to see much of the hill towns from Orvieto. Hope this helps and buona fortuna.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 03:06 PM
ira

Another vote for an overnight stay in Orvieto and then training to FCO.

You can take the train from Florence to Orvieto.

I highly recommend lunch or dinner at
I Sette Consoli
Pzza Sant?Angelo 1A
phone/fax 011 39 0763 343911
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. Ira, if we train to Orvieto, do you have any recommendations for a place to stay? And might 2 nights without a car in Orvieto be too much? Bob recommended a place to stay outside of Orvieto that looks great. If we rent a car we can either leave Florence, and stay 1 night in Montalcino and one night in Orvieto or leave Florence, stop somewhere along the way but end up in Orvieto for 2 nights. What would you all do?
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 05:38 PM
ira

Hi Suki,

I think that one day and one night in Orvieto is enough.

I haven't done an overnight there, so can't help with hotel.

Is there a reason why you can't do one more day/night in Florence?

My trip report might help you.
p://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=2&tid=34451044

Old Aug 11th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

No reason we can't stay in Florence another night, but we were thinking of exploring the countryside a little. In France, my husband enjoyed Paris, but really loved Amboise and the Loire Valley. I was trying to add a little "country" for him in Italy.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 05:51 PM
ira

Hi Suki,

>...we were thinking of exploring the countryside a little.<

You can train from Florence to Siena, Lucca and Pisa, Chianti and Montepulciano.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 05:54 PM
ira

PS,

Don't forget to take the no. 7 bus from the train station up to Fiesole (20 min) and watch the sun go down from the terrace of the Bar Blu.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 06:34 PM

Don't take a train to Siena from Florence, the bus is the best way to go.
Florence for Easter is wonderful. There is a parade and a interesting "event" (Scoppio del Carro) in which a decorated cart loaded with fireworks is blown up outside of the Duomo. It takes place early in the morning, so get a good seat.
Also, out of the three Easters I have spent in Florence, it has been rainy and cool each time--don't forget a light coat.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 06:48 PM

Suki, I would drive those 2 days and then to FCO. If you stay in the city at Orvieto then look at Hotel Duomo. I would stay the first nite at Palazzo del Capitano in San Quirico and then meander down S-2 the 2nd day stopping in Montalcino, St. Antimo, and Bagno Vignoni. You have to access Orvieto by car from the west, but Locanda Rosati is 8 km west of town. Get a good map for Tuscany.