Italy Beaches for Families with Toddlers

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2024, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter and SIL are in the very early stages of planning a month or so in Italy in the summer of 2025 in a couple of different locations; one of which would be a town with a beach that would be easily accessible for travelling with a 3 1/2 year old and a baby who would be approximately 9 months old at that time. It would need to be relatively flat to accommodate access with strollers etc. Would love to hear any suggestions.
Old May 29th, 2024, 04:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Where else are they thinking of going?
Old May 30th, 2024, 01:19 AM

We really would need to know where they're coming from.

Anyway, I'll take the occasion to recommend Senigallia, on the Adriatic Coast. It has a wide beach with fine sand and shallow water with no waves for many meters from the beach. I always took my granddaughter there from the age of 2. Every day you can see people pushing strollers along the hard sand near the water.

Senigallia can be easily reached by train from Rome or by air from London (Ryanair) and Munich (Lufthansa). Both fly into nearby Ancona AOI, and from there you can take a shuttle to the train station and proceed north to Senigallia. There is also a train from Rome to Ancona; at the moment they're doing track work, which I hope will be finished soon.

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow in Senigallia, and we were planning to walk along the seaside afterwards. I'll try to take some photos and post them.

I recently recommended Senigallia to someone who was looking for a gastronomic destination. I also recommended some non-gastronomic things to do in the vicinity. (I mentioned the Frasassi Caverns, but toddlers and young children can't go in. It's a very pretty area, though.)
​​​​​
https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/spain-and-italy-a-very-early-itinerary-check-for-september-2025-a-1722783/#post17566611

Last edited by bvlenci; May 30th, 2024 at 01:29 AM.
Old May 30th, 2024, 03:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for your replies. I'll check with them to get a better idea of their plans. I have been reading recently of Senigallia. It sounds lovely!
Old May 30th, 2024, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

They would most likely be coming from Tuscany or Umbria.
Old May 30th, 2024, 07:57 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Puglia, along the Adriatic Coast. Monopoli and Polignano a Mare offer nice beaches as goes the coast beyond heading south.
Old May 30th, 2024, 08:03 PM

Another question: how would they be getting home? From an airport in Tuscany or Umbria? Or somewhere else?
Old May 31st, 2024, 09:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
No personal experience, but I've heard good things about Punta Ala...
Old May 31st, 2024, 11:15 AM

Dunno Kiddo, maybe Maiori? It features a long, safe beach and perhaps the lowest lodging rates across the Amalfi Coast for a mid-sized town. Excellent bus and ferry connections both ways.
It is flat, especially when compared to other nearby, more popular places.
I am done. the beach
Old Jun 3rd, 2024, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies. They will be travelling from Toronto so I would think they would probably fly into Rome but again at this stage all options are open.
Old Jun 3rd, 2024, 07:06 AM

I was in Senigallia on Saturday, and took a few photos of the beach. At this time of year, there aren't many people there, and these photos were made at around 9 o'clock. There were people walking, a few mothers pushing strollers along the hard sand at water's edge, and a few school groups.

You can see that the water is very shallow, with just gentle little waves. It's not even knee-deep for these children. In fact, if you want to swim, you have to go out past the breakwater.

It's a perfect beach for small children.
Old Jun 3rd, 2024, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Kiddo
Thank you all for your replies. They will be travelling from Toronto so I would think they would probably fly into Rome but again at this stage all options are open.
​​​​​​To get to Senigallia from Toronto, It would be best to fly to Ancona with Lufthansa, connecting in Munich. We once connected in Munich and Toronto when flying to Indianapolis.
​​​​​​
From Tuscany, they would take a train from Florence or from Arezzo (changing in Bologna). From Umbria, there are several stations on the line from Rome to Ancona. For example, from Spoleto, changing in Falconara Marittima.

Last edited by bvlenci; Jun 3rd, 2024 at 07:33 AM.
Old Jun 4th, 2024, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the pictures Blvenci. That was very kind of you.