Reload this Page >

Italy and/or France - 30th Anniversary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2007, 12:43 PM
jazzy1

Hello all you travel experts! I'm in need of some advice. We will be celebrating our 30th anniversary in Sept. We've been to the big cities in Italy and France but would like to go back the 2nd or 3rd week of Sept for our Anniversary. I hope it's not too late to start planning. My dilemma...I don't know where to go. I've considered Provence, Cote d'Azur, Portofino/Santa Margherita, Cinque Terre, Emilia-Romagna/Parma/Bologna??

We would prefer to drive as little as possible, but can rent a car. Otherwise train from city airport to our destination(s).

We would like to stay in towns that have great restaurants, shops, etc. We are looking to meld into the town and just kind of hang out. Spending time near the ocean would also be great. I think we are looking for something like a resort town but now "totally" touristy. We can spend approx 350 U.S. per night.

Well, I've rambled on enough. What would you do? Where should I go. How about Southern Italy?? Far too many choice out there.

Thank you so much for any help you can provide.

Old Mar 21st, 2007, 04:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you condidered Turin, northen Italy? You can stay in town and have all what you want in terms of shops and restaurant plus a lot of history, museums and monument. Or you can hire a car and travel through the beautifull countryside in the Langhe, Canavese and all the wine areas. Also you can go into the mountains in 1 hour travel or to the seaside in 3 hours. September is usually a very nice season here.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 06:49 AM
jazzy1

Hello Zorba, thank you for the feedback. I haven't done much research on Turin, however, I think we are looking for smaller towns with more a quaint,local flavor. I'm not discounting anything though so I will check this out. Thank you!

Old Mar 21st, 2007, 08:50 AM

Start in Provence and move south to CT. Finish in Lucca and fly back from Pisa or Florence.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 08:57 AM
ira

Hi J,

How laid back and slow do you want to be?

The Amalfi Coast would be good for a week without a car.

Siena and Bologna could be done without a car. It's about 3 hrs between cities by bus/train.

Provence or the Dordogne would be great for a week, but I suggest a car.

Old Mar 21st, 2007, 08:58 AM
ira

OOPs,

Add Burgundy and Alsace to that list.