Italy

Sep 21st, 2000, 08:11 AM
Nancy

Italy

How far away from Milan is Bolgna? If I wanted to visit Milan, Mantua, Bologna and Ferrara where should I base myself and which can I do as day trips? What is the best transportation between these places? THANKS

Sep 21st, 2000, 08:40 AM
Santa Chiara

1. A little less than 2 hours by train. 2. Bologna 3. From Bologna, all are day trips as can Florence, Venice and Rome, not to mention Parma, Ravenna and Verona. 3. Train

Sep 21st, 2000, 08:53 AM
Nancy

Thank you so much Santa Chiara for the help. Do you recommend any hotels in Bologna?

Sep 22nd, 2000, 12:50 AM
Santa Chiara

Hotel Corona d'Oro (4 star); Commercianti (3 star), both in the center of town (go to www.cnc.it/bologna). Restaurants in the center: Teresina and da Carlo, Tamburini for lunch. A little further away (10 to 15 minute walk): Osteria du Madon, via San Vitale, 73 and Trattoria Anna Maria, via Belle Arti, 17/A.

Caveat: Bologna isn't for everyone. Just got a report back from a first-time-to-Italy traveler who didn't like it (too noisy, too confusing, restaurants hard to find). It is a true Italian city as opposed to the more tourist-oriented such as Florence and Venice. Not much Englsh spoken, and it is just now beginning to cater to tourists.

Sep 22nd, 2000, 12:52 AM
Santa Chiara

Hotel Corona d'Oro (4 star); Commercianti (3 star), both in the center of town (go to www.cnc.it/bologna). Restaurants in the center: Teresina and da Carlo, Tamburini for lunch. A little further away (10 to 15 minute walk): Osteria du Madon, via San Vitale, 73 and Trattoria Anna Maria, via Belle Arti, 17/A.

Caveat: Bologna isn't for everyone. Just got a report back from a first-time-to-Italy traveler who didn't like it (too noisy, too confusing, restaurants hard to find). It is a true Italian city as opposed to the more tourist-oriented such as Florence and Venice. Not much Englsh spoken, and it is just now beginning to cater to tourists.