Italian Wine Selection

May 23rd, 2002, 05:52 AM
Jim

Italian Wine Selection

Although, I am happy with just about any wine, my wife is very picky about her wine selection. We will be in Italy in a couple of weeks and would like to know some buzz words or brands that will assure we order a wine she will like. In America she will only drink dry white wines, primarily Chardonnay. Last summer, in France, we accidentally ordered some sweet wines that even I thought were horrible. Are there any wine enthusiasts that can make a recommendation. We will be in Rome, Sorrento, Venice and Tuscany?

May 23rd, 2002, 05:56 AM
Bob

Dean posted some wonderful information on Italian wines recently so if you seach for wine on this site you will find it.

May 23rd, 2002, 05:58 AM
Uncle Sam

You may want to try Orvieto Classico. It is a white, chardonnay type with crisp citrus flavor.

Also, for a red do not miss the Brunello di Montalcino.

It is the nectar of the gods....red velvet in a bottle!

US

May 23rd, 2002, 06:00 AM
Uncle Sam

Jim,

One other thing. There are numerous wine bars in Rome. Ask at your hotel and then you can buy by the glass and find out likes and dislikes.

US

May 23rd, 2002, 06:10 AM
sandi

If she likes dry, white wines then she should like Pinot Grigio. Very light, dry and citrus-y. It's wonderful on a warm summer day/evening.

May 23rd, 2002, 06:16 AM
Flagg

Try a Vernaccia di San Gimignano. A waiter in Siena introduced me to it and I've loved it ever since.

May 23rd, 2002, 06:41 AM
Wayne

I've always liked Pinot Grigio and found any brand in Italy to be very good. But like a previous poster, I also discovered Vernaccia di San Gimignano and like it a lot too. Orvieto wines are good, and Frascati is also good for the type that your wife likes. Use any of these names and she will have a nice time.

May 23rd, 2002, 09:31 AM
beth

You've gotten some good suggestions here. Let me also suggest that you ask waiters for help. Especially in the nicer restaurants the waiters were extremely knowledgeable, and the restaurants often offered local wines that you wouldn't be able to find here, or that were privately stocked by the restaurant. of course, very few of the wines will have the oaky, buttery flavor of a California chardonnay. Italian whites, in my experience, are a bit lighter, brighter, more acidic (Although I admit, I like red wines so much in Italy, I didn't drink the whites as often). Hopefully your wife will like them. You might try buying a Pinot Grigio or an Orvieto here before you go, so she will have an idea what they are like and whether she will enjoy them.

May 23rd, 2002, 10:43 AM
Jim

All excellent suggestions. I like the idea of tasting before we leave. Thanks

May 23rd, 2002, 02:04 PM
Rex

Take a look at www.cal-italia.org and see if your local merchant carries the wines from any of these fine California "Italian-style" wine producer/growers.

Best wishes,

Rex

May 23rd, 2002, 03:54 PM
peter

since you will be in rome order the frascati as it is very locally grown ie in frascati one of the castles of rome. if you have time visit this place for an afternoon. the next town morini has a great white wine also. beve bene

May 24th, 2002, 11:21 AM
dean

i will top my wine suggestions thread

wines to look for that are a little off the beaten track included Tocai Friulano from Friuli, Gewurztraminer from Alto Adige, Ischia Bianco from Campania.

Enjoy

May 24th, 2002, 11:32 AM
Terry

My husband and I just got back from Italy last week. We LOVED the wines there. Before we left for Italy a friend told my husband that the year 2000 was a good year for wines. We used that as a basis when we weren't sure what to order and we always got a good bottle of wine. Also, in Rome, go to Cul de Sac. It is a great wine bar that also has excellent food. We ate there three times during our six day stay!

Terry