Search

Italian Riviera

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2010, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italian Riviera

Need suggestion please. I'm trying to get to the Italian Riviera from San Francisco. Please tell me what's the best way to get there and places to stay. I'm traveling alone. I would specially like to see the Cinque Terre. I'd like to travel for 10 days. Thank you.
Old Sep 11th, 2010, 07:27 AM

I imagine a flight into Pisa or Genoa would be the most convenient. From either place its an easy train ride into Cinque Terre
Old Sep 11th, 2010, 07:38 AM

For hotel recommendations, check out TripAdvisor.com and venere.com, which also allow you to check pricing and availability.

As for the "best" place to stay, what is best for one is not for another so I suggest you take advantage of the search function and research your options.
Old Sep 11th, 2010, 08:27 AM

Check kayak.com for flights to Pisa and Genoa.

Besides the Cinque Terre, is there any place else you have researched and want to visit/stay? Any special interests? Will you be renting a car or do you prefer using trains/boats only?

Using the "Search the Forums" tool will produce many options for lodging in the Cinque Terre. Also, look through the Trip Reports to help with your research.
Old Sep 11th, 2010, 08:56 AM

With ten days, maybe you would like to see some of the French Riviera, too? Fly into Nice and train down the coast to CT. we stayed in Nice and liked it. We stayed in Santa Margherita Ligure, also, and day-tripped to the CT.

Technically, I think the CT is on the Ligurian coast, not the Italian Riviera. I could be wrong.
Old Sep 11th, 2010, 09:10 AM

We stayed in Rapallo and visited the CT from there and were so glad we did. The CT was very disappointing to us and we cut our intended visit short and headed back to Rapallo.

My favorite was the view of the CT from the water which was preferable to the reality (mobs of people carrying Rick Steeve's guidebooks and overpriced food and drink).
Old Sep 11th, 2010, 09:10 AM

There are 2 Italian Rivieras: the Riviera del Ponente (north of Genoa to the French border) and the Riviera del Levante (from Genoa to La Spezia). The latter includes the CT. And the whole is pretty much the whole coast of Liguria.

10 days is a lot for the CT. Where else do you plan to go?