ITALIAN PHARSES

Old Jun 10th, 2000, 08:30 AM
CAROL

ITALIAN PHARSES

HI, WHY DO SOME OF THE LANGUAGE BOOKS write the THE SAME WORD DIFFERENT. LIKE ,HAVE A NICE DAY Buona giornata Or avere piacevole un giorno .Does it mean the same .
thanks

Old Jun 10th, 2000, 08:40 AM
What's

Is YOUr shIFT LOck BROKeN OR somETHiNG? DaNg!

Old Jun 10th, 2000, 08:50 AM
Sheila

I want to know you didn't post this same question about three days ago...

These are idioms. Like "Have a nice day" "All the best" " Missing you already!"

The first is literally Good "what makes up a day for you" or "course of the day" - there's no literal translation; what it's trying to get over is the moving time span of a day.

The second is literally "to have a pleasant day"

But they mean idiomatically much the same.

Old Jun 10th, 2000, 12:58 PM
Dawn

Sheila, That was actually me a few days ago and I got the answer that I needed from Elaine. I have no idea why Carol has asked this question when I had it answered such a short time ago.

Old Jun 10th, 2000, 02:45 PM
Myer

Unless you speak Italian, I have found only four words are needed. Hello - Bonjourno until 2PM, Hello - Buenaserra after 2PM, Thank you - Grazia, You're welcome - Prego (pardon the spelling). The people are extremely friendly and if you use the above at anytime, the locals are quite pleased to help.

Old Jun 10th, 2000, 02:51 PM
carol

I didn,t know that someone had asked the same question .I have only wrote in three times in the last month or so.I don't think I will write again .

Old Jun 10th, 2000, 03:03 PM
Sheila

Heh min! (as they say in this neck of the woods) I gave you a full answer..don't take offense.. it was just a total repeat of a very recent question and kind of felt like the answer hadn't been believed.

Myer is kind of right too; but the more you know the better you will get on. Did I tell you about the time 9 of us ended up in Tuscany early on a Sunday morning with absolutely NO food and a 14 month old baby and no shops open?

It did take more than "Good morning" and "howdy" to leave the local bar with enough bread, cheese, milk and coffee to get us to the next opportunity ofr retail therapy.

please don't go. Your question was valid; and I DID answer it.