Search

Italian Lakes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 11:23 AM
Taline

Italian Lakes

Hello, <BR> <BR>I will be going by car to Italy via Switzerland, so I thought of staying one night in the Italian Lake region in the North. Any suggestions re: towns and places to stay? <BR> <BR>Thank you!

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 02:53 PM
Myer

Absolutely!! <BR>Depending upon how much time you have I wouls stay in Como. Cute town for a day. Youcan actually spend a few hours walking around the town and then take boat down the lake to Belaggio for the rest of the day and come back early evening. <BR>

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 03:42 PM
Leigh

It depends on your point of entry as there are 3 different lakes you could visit. <BR>I believe I would pick Como also, if I didn't have much time.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 04:20 PM
peter

stresa on largo maggiore has easy access from lugano. nice place to spend the day

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 12:18 AM
Mike

An obvious point, but the northern shore of Maggiore is in Switzerland (Locarno and Ascona). <BR> <BR>I think Orta is actually the prettiest lake, although it's small, and the town is very pleasant.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 11:25 PM
marie

We are also planning a lakes trip in early OCTOBER ??!! thought of spending 5 or 6 nights in the area -- is this a bad time to go ?? <BR> <BR>thanks for any suggestions and also if you know a fab hotel ??

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 04:43 AM
jean

Marie, I spent 3 nights in Varenna on Lake Como Sept 99 and loved it. Great location, an hour train from Milan. Beautiful scenery, quiet small village. Easy ferry access to Bellagio, Menagio, even Como. You could even day trip into Milan one day to see the Last Supper (reserve in advance), Duomo and shop and return to your lake oasis in the evening. Enjoy, Jean.