Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italian Lake Itinerary, is Verona worth the excursion?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2000, 05:26 AM
Michael Ivler

My Fiancée and I are planning a 10-day Honeymoon (July 10-20) in the Lake region. We had planned on staying in the Lake Region the entire 10 days, but it has been suggested that we spend 4 days in Bellagio, 4 in Verona and then the last 2 in Stresa. How long would it take and what's the best way to get to Verona from Bellagio? Is it worth the excursion? I'm hoping to make a decision about this within the next few days so that we can start booking hotels. <BR> <BR>By the way, when we get back, I plan on reporting back to share my experiences with everyone. <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>Michael <BR>

Old Feb 10th, 2000, 05:33 AM
Jeanie

Michael, <BR>We did a similar trip last June. We stayed in Bellagio and stopped in Verona on our way to Venice. First of all, we loved Bellagio. There wasn't much to do but it was so peaceful and nice. We took the train from Varenna to Milan and then Milan to Verona. It was a very pretty, scenic trip. Verona was very cute, actually I would say it was magical at night. During the day it was full of tour bus people, but in the evening we felt like we had the city to ourselves. I would definitely recommend 1 maybe 2 days in Verona, as long as you spend one night there.

Old Feb 10th, 2000, 06:13 AM
Patrick

Verona is wonderful, but one or two nights max should suffice. Beware that you are talking opera season and Verona is very busy. Do you want to see the opera? If not, I suggest going to Verona on the dark nights. I've tried to arrange my schedule in the past and this year will finally see Aida there in the arena in July. Want a wonderful splurge? The hotel Gabbia d'Oro in Verona is a magical small villa hotel -- they can also arrange the opera tickets (at no extra charge than buying them direct). Ferry then train from Bellagio to Verona is quite easy.

Old Feb 10th, 2000, 03:34 PM
Monica Richards

Even if you're not a big opera fine (I'm certainly not) go to the opera in Verona. You can buy tickets the same day you're there, and it's an experience you won't soon forget! Just realize you need to show up early to get seats that aren't facing the back of the performers (which are the seats we had, because I didn't realize that's what would happen if we had a leisurely dinner), rent a seat cushion, and buy the candles from the vendors (you'll see why as darkness falls). The experience was magical.

Old Feb 12th, 2000, 02:13 AM
Michele Biron

Hello Michael, <BR>I'm from Verona and I agree with other peolple that if you are planning to stay here in Italy for just 10 days, may be <BR>four in Verona are really too much. <BR>But let's start from the beginning: <BR>Everything depends on how you're going to move during your journey, by car or train, and on your destination airport. <BR>If you'll have a flight to Milan, take care that this could be your starting point for all your destinations. <BR>I don't think there is a direct train link between Stresa and Bellagio so you need to come back every time in Milan. <BR>If you'll have a look at http://www.fs-on-line.com/eng/index.htm, you'll have more details. <BR>But my opinion is you should rent a car (very expensive here in Italy, around 50$/day for a FIAT Punto) in order to save <BR>a lot of time: I went to Stresa last September and it's just one hour and a half far from Milan and you can easily reach it. <BR>If you had a car you could travel around different villages thare are (Arona, Stresa, Verbania, Pallanca, ...) You can <BR>also think to sleep in one of this village. <BR>I've never been in Bellagio but if you have a car you can think to reach it without coming back to Milan. <BR>But BE VERY CAREFUL! If you go there by car be sure it's during the week; many people from Milan go there to spend their <BR>week end, there is only a regional street from Como Lake to Milan, so you coul find a really long queue if you come <BR>back in Milan in Sunday. <BR>After having visited both lakes you can give the car back and begin your "cities" tour: don't spend your time in visiting <BR>Milan, I work there and I can tell you it doesn't worth: may be just 2 hours of shopping in the town center but not more. <BR>Don't forget your trip will be at the end of July, the hottest and wettest period in Italy (not like Miami but...) <BR>Form Milan you can easly reach Verona by train (there are two trains per hour) and it is a 1,5 - 2 hours long travel <BR>depending on the train you take (and the ticket you buy). <BR>I think the best solution would be you stay in Verona for the rest of your time, spending 2 days here and, why not, <BR>doing 2 one day visits to Venice (1,5 hr by train) and Bologna (2 hr by train) or in other cities around here you could like. <BR>But BE SURE TO RESERVE your hotel in advance (I think you could already reserv it now): as it was here said there is the <BR>opera season in summer and every hotel is booked (many tourists have their hotel at Garda Lake and come in town with the buses <BR>desribed above). <BR>Also in my opinion "Gabbia d'Oro" is one of the beautiful hotel (central position, really close to the most beautiful square "Piazza Erbe") <BR>in town but it's also one of the more expensive: everything depends on your budget (Top hotel are also "Accademia", <BR>"Due Torri", "Montresor", "Victoria") I think the price during summer is around 200 $/day for a twin room. <BR>Otherwise you can think to sleep in an other city between Verona and Venice (Padua, the same Venice but it's REALLY very <BR>expensive) and plan your one day trip to Verona.... <BR>These are really some basic information but if you need further I'll be glad to give you. <BR>During the week use [email protected] <BR>Ciao, <BR> Michele

Old Feb 12th, 2000, 06:21 AM
ron

Michelle- do you know anything about hotel Villa del Quar in Verona?I know it's part of the relais chain but have been unable to get any more details anywhere.Thanks,Ron

Old Feb 12th, 2000, 06:38 AM
Michael Ivler

Thanks for the information. I thought the easiest solution would be to get a driver to drive us from Milan Airport to Bellagio. (Does anyone have any idea how much that might cost?) The reason I thought we should end back near Stresa is because our flight back to the states leaves Milan around 2:30pm. If we end in Venice or Bologna we will really need to get back to Milan the last night to be sure we won't have a problem catching our flight.

Old Feb 13th, 2000, 07:12 AM
michele biron

Hello Ron, <BR>may be you mean "Villa Quaranta"; it's a nice resort nearby Verona (just 10 Km)on the way to Trento; I went to some parties there and it's really a good accomodation (but I think it's better to have a car); I think it's very expensive. <BR>Hoping the name is the one I told you, <BR>ciao <BR>Michele <BR> <BR>(just one l, I'm male)