Italian itinerary in April

Old Nov 5th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italian itinerary in April

My wife and I are planning our first trip to Italy, most likely in April but possibly as early as March. Two weeks total. We like the idea of staying in one city--most likely Rome but possibly Venice or Florence--for a few days and then taking the train to a more rural home base for a week or so where we could see the sites and perhaps rent a car and do day-trips. Sorrento comes to mind, or maybe Sienna. Or maybe somewhere else we haven't even thought of that is less touristy. We're seeking a little cultural adventure and the opportunity to meet some friendly locals, experience the delicious food and wine, and see a few of the sites that make Italy such a very special place. Any thoughts or suggestions about our planned itinerary?
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 12:44 PM

Well, Siena and Sorrento certainly couldn't be called nontouristy! That doesn't mean they're not worth visiting. For a first trip to Italy, since you seem to want a good amount of time in the country, assuming 13 nights, I would:

Fly into Venice and stay there 3 nights.
Then 6 nights in southern Tuscany with a car, near Pienza, Montalcino or Montepulciano. Drop the car in Orvieto and get the train to Rome.
Rome for 4 nights and fly home from there.

(Actually, I would give more time to Rome, but with your preferences, I think this schedule would be good.)
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, SusanP. Sounds like a great plan ... some city sights and time spent in the countryside. FYI, we just like the idea of "taking up residence" in one place and going from there. Our best trip ever was two weeks in an apart-hotel in Paris. Every day was a wonderful adventure, yet we returned to a familiar "home" every evening! Almost felt like we lived there for awhile. We're hoping to apply the same logic and experience a similar adventure in Italy.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 01:10 PM

sherwoodforest,

SusanP and I often think alike, and I really like her suggestion for you. I am also one of those who enjoy a mix of cities and countryside. The destinations suggested are all very good for your timeframe. Personally, I would go for late April/early May for best weather balanced with fewer crowds. Tuscany has the green fields of wheat and the red poppies in May!

I would not do Sorrento in March.

Buon viaggio!
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Grazie molto a voi entrambi!