Reload this Page >

italian iternerary

Search

italian iternerary

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 12:31 PM
farrell ender

italian iternerary

I will be in italy and going to rome, tuscany and positano. what is the best and most efficient way to get to do them and in what order. thanks

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 12:52 PM
xxx

Not to pick on this particular posting which is just an example of many, but what's all this constant concern about "best and most efficient" holiday trip plans? Are we on Fodors being coopted by some military organization planning an invasion? Sounds more like Rommel than Baedecker. Especially when applied to Italy ... the land of <BR>dolce far niente.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 01:04 PM
az

How do you plan to travel in Italy--car, train, plane? Where in Tuscany do you plan to visit? By most efficient, I assume you mean fastest and not most scenic. Based on this assumption, one obvious way is to fly into Florence and then take Autostrada to Rome and on to Naples where you pick up SS145 and then SS163 to Positano. But you may get better plane fares flying into Rome. I have not flown into Florence or Naples, so I cannot comment from first hand experience, but other travlers w. whom I recently visited on the Amalfi Coast said flying into Naples was chaotic. If you want info on scenic routes via car, I can help from Rome to Positano.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 01:30 PM
John

North to South: Tuscany, Rome, Positano. <BR> <BR>If you are flying in/out to/from the same location it may not matter. I have flown to both Rome and Naples with equal success. <BR> <BR>For me, Rome (and Venice) had sooooo much to see and do that a car was a burden. The opposite in Tuscany, a car was essential. In Naples it was kind of in the middle - Capri not possible, but essential for the Amalfi Coast (others would say I am nuts), flexible for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Pasteum, Cacerta etc. but crazy in Naples itself. <BR> <BR>Trains/public transportation can get you to most everywhere you want to go if that is the option you chose, except perhaps for Tuscany. <BR> <BR>'Best and efficient' are personal choices and what is good for one person is not for another. <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 17th, 2001, 02:38 PM
steve

FYI. Instead of trying to close a loop by flying in and out of the same airport, check with your airline. American Airlines got me the dame fare with arrival in Rome and Dparture in Florence.