Italian cities to visit for six days

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 6 nights in Rome and am looking for 6 more in another city in Italy. My choices, for now, are Milan or Sorrento. We'd love lots of museums and of course history. Any comments on these two cities?
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 06:38 PM

If you are including more than just the city itself in each option, then you'd have plenty to do in each. I'd be hard pressed recommend six days in Milan. However, I could easily spend a couple there and the rest at Lake Como. As for your other option of Sorrento, again, it would be easy to find interesting things to do in the area over six days--Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 02:09 PM

why milan? I've read nothing to encourage me to spend more than a day there. I could easily do 6 in and around Florence (Tuscany Region).
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 02:36 PM

I think it might have been WC Fields who said "I spent a week in Milan one day." I agree with the above advice about Florence and Tuscany. But if your choices are Milan and Sorrento, I vote for Sorrento (Naples, Amalfi coast, etc).
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 09:03 PM

Rome is great maybe for 4-5 nights, take a train to Florence for 2 nights and then drive, take a train or hire a driver to positano stay at Le Seranuse. Take a day trip first to Pompei then to Ravello. We had lunch at Hotel Pulumbo, an italian friend gave us a fabulous tip on this location. Ravello country side is breath taking! You can see Sorrento on this same day and maybe take a drive back there another eveing. Another worthwhile excursion was the 45 min ferry to Capri from Postiano. Maybe spend the night on capri- I wish I had) I would not stay in Sorrento, it is not as interesting as the other quaint towns I mentioned. I think we stopped in Sorrento on our way in from Rome, on an other day in route to pompei and one late evening and saw all I needed to see of Sorrento. Buy Lemoncello -lemon liquour. Great to make lemon drop martinis with by the way. I lived in Milan. It is not a vacation place to me. It is very industrial, only good for shopping and the fashion industry. However, there are wonderful places to weekend very close to Milan such as Lake Como, Portofino and Forte de marmi. That is another direction and maybe a separate trip. Best of Luck and have a fabulous time!