Istanbul itinerary help

Search

Istanbul itinerary help

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2010, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Istanbul itinerary help

I've put together a tentative itinerary for my upcoming trip to Istanbul, which, of course, I'll revise so that it's reasonable. Does it appear to you that the sites I've listed for each day are within walking distance of one another? (Or at least short mass transit rides?)
----------------------------------

Wednesday, October 6, 2010
1. Board Turkish Airlines Flight 6 from Chicago-O'Hare to Istanbul-Ataturk International at 10:20 PM.

Thursday, October 7, 2010
1. Arrive in Istanbul at 5:05 PM.
2. Catch taxi from airport to Eklektik Guest House (Sahkulu mah. Serdari Ekrem cad. Kadri Bey Cikmazi no:4 34420 Beyoglu / Istanbul).
3. Dinner.
4. Hammam.

Friday, October 8, 2010
1. Topkapi Palace
2. the underground cistern Yerebatan Sarnici
3. the Blue Mosque
4. Museum of Turkish & Islamic Art
5. Haghia Sofia
6. Egyptian Bazaar
7. Gulhane Park
8. Istanbul delis - Erzincanlilar, Pinar and Antep Pizari
9. Dinner
10. Lunch
11. Breakfast
12. Hammam

Saturday, October 9, 2010
1. Grand Bazaar
2. Beyazit square mosques
3. Western district neighborhoods - Fatih, Fener and Balat
4. Walls of Constantinople
5. Ataturk Museum
6. Military Museum
7. Mehayne (tapas-style) dinner
8. Hubbly-bubbly at Erenler Cay Bahcesi

Sunday, October 10, 2010
1. Istanbul Modern
2. Whirling Dervishes
3. Bosphorus villages
4. Asian side of Istanbul

Monday, October 11, 2010
1. Fly to next destination
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 05:21 AM

Too much downtime.
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 05:28 AM

I would add the following: Chora (old basilica) and lunch/dinner at Asitane restaurant near Chora. Galata Tower. Spice Bazaar and lunch (dinner is not served) at Pandeli at the entry of Spice Bazaar. Princess Islands (6 hours at least for total, reaching there-touring and return). Suleymaniye Mosque (masterpiece of Architect Sinan).
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 06:06 AM

I guess it depends on how busy you like to be and how into the sites you are, but day one looks a little crazy to me. Topkapi Palace is fairly large and one could easily spend half a day or more there, again depending on how long you want to linger. The Hagia Sophia is huge and could easily take a few hours as well, although I guess that depends on how in-depth of a tour you want. Then throw in the museum, the Blue Mosque, the cistern, a park and the Spice Market etc and, well, it sounds like an exhausting day. You would have to really rush to do all of this in one day and I'm not entirely sure it can be done unless you want a "Cliff's Notes" version of each site.

Tracy
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 06:25 AM

I think this is Otherchelebi having some fun with the questions he sees asked here.
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 06:37 AM

Does seem a bit...busy. For example, sunday. Only 4 items, but the time to do all of them....

Near Topkapi is the Archeological museum, which we enjoyed.
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 06:49 AM

Visited Istanbul in June. Stayed with a friend but you may find this link helpful. A lot to see and do, a great city. Enjoy Istanbul!

http://dmbtraveler195.blogspot.com/2...ion-stone.html
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

@ggokce: Thanks for the recommendations! Where are each of those sites relative to the ones currently on my itinerary? I'm a 26-year-old guy traveling alone (except for a couple of excursions with Couchsurfers) so I'd like to avoid any upscale restaurants especially amenable to couples looking for a romantic night out on the town.

@tcreath: I will return to Istanbul, probably in 2012, so I don't mind not visiting a few of the institutions currently on this trip's itinerary. What do you think can wait? And to revisit my original question - Are the sites I've listed within short mass transit rides of one another? I have heard that mass transit in Istanbul is nowhere near as reliable or easy to use as mass transit in Berlin and Paris.

@all others: Thanks for your advice and tips!
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 01:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Unfortunately mass transit is not tourist transit in ost cases.

Cold, the questions were beyond my wildest imagination, and at best black humor.

Roger, sorry for the good natured banter. Here are some answers:

- I cannot figure what your interests are
- Friday is impossible unless you are a sprinter.
definitely leave Gulhane Parki out (why do you want to go to a park in the midst of this history dash?)
Also why do you wish to visit three cheese, spice and cold cuts shops? no.7.
You can visit the Egyptian bazaar on your day fo the Bosphorus.

With those out of the way, you have a good chance for finishing the rest.
Do the Blue Mosque early in the morning or late afternoon, because it will be out of bounds during the long Friday noon services.

- saturday you can get to grand bazaar by funicular + tram. walk to beyazit mosque, take taxi to Edirnekapi where you will see some of the 40 kilometers of city walls, and walk to Chora chorch (kariye) for the frescos. If you so wish, you can walk around the very conservative and partially fundamentalist neigborhoods of Fatih and Carsamba, and the run-down old districts of Fener and Balat, which the municipality is trying to blot out. (see my S.O.S Istanbul post)
forget ataturk and Military museums which are in totally different places. Military museum should be visited when the the ceremonial Ottoman band has concerts (check for hours and days of week)
The hubbly bubbly will go with Istanbul Modern
But if you are so interested in art, why not Sabanci and Pera museums also?

-Whirling dervishes is usually a touristic evening show offered at a few different locations. If you must see a flamenco show in southern spain, then you may wish to see this. (no tapping of heels though)

- Beyoglu, where you are staying has good meyhanes. Yakup, Asmali, refik are more expensive. The ones on nevizade Street like Boncuk are cheaper. you can eat at one your first night.

- The Galatasaray Hamam will be reasonably close to your lodging, and you can have a skin removal there any time you wish, although i doubt that you will want to repeat this process more than once.

- The Bosphorus runs between Europe and asia, so osphorus villages will mean villages on both continents. The only ferry which will let you visit the maximum number on both sides will be the small ring ferry between Istinye, emirgan, Kanlica, anadoluhisar, Kandilli, Bebek, arnavutkoy. Check ido.com.tr for the schedules. You will need to take a taxi from taksim to Arnavutkoy to pick this boat.

- If you want to go to Kadikoy on the asian Side, then leave it to your next trip.
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 01:11 PM

Well Geesuz - my apologies to Roger and Otherchelebi. I did think it was clever commentary by OC. I mean, he is clever ...
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 01:54 PM

Cold, have you read "singers at the end of time" ?

They pick all interstellar travelers and time travelers as quaint creatures and add them to their menageries in three delightful volumes (or one very big one) You got away this last time.
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 01:58 PM

Cold, sorry about the error on the name, i for got that you did not sing. It is called "Dancers at the End of Time" by michael moorcock.
Old Sep 26th, 2010, 02:00 PM

Will look it up.
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, otherchelebi! All suggestions noted.

Any recommendations for a Whirling Dervish performance?
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 12:58 PM

Better to experience in Cappadocia if you are coming here or the one at Hocapasa might be Ok while in Istanbul. I have not been there but hear few visitors commenting.
Happy travelling,

Murat