Istanbul Hotels, my (almost) final list

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I and my 20 year old daughter will be in Istanbul from 28 September until 5 October 2008. We will probably share a room.

It seems that some people prefer to stay away from old town - pros and cons?

I have checked out various hotels in Sultanahmed where the price seems very reasonable, and would welcome your comments, experiences and alternative suggestions.

Hotels (not in order)

Nena

Dersaadet

Empress Zoe

President (best western I think)

the Alzer

Old Dec 28th, 2007, 06:16 PM

DH and I stayed at the Celal Sultan in Sultanahmet. The room was small, but very comfortable bed and great shower. The included breakfast was wonderful, with coffee, tea, juice, fruit, yogurt, cereal, bread, pastries, fresh cherry jam, honey, olives, tomatoes, eggs, etc.
We were 1 block from Aya Sofia, Blue Mosque, and the Cistern. We rode the tram down to the waterfront, and were a short walk from the Grand Bazaar. Our room had double pane windows, and was very quiet. In 2005, our room was under 100 euro/night, and they gave us complimentary pick-up at the airport.

I booked after reading about the hotel on Fodor's, and felt it was a good choice. If you are visiting Istanbul for the first time, most of the historic sights are in the old part of the city, and there is much to see.

www.celalsultan.com
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Barb -will check it out -can't wait for my return visit to Istanbul(after 26 years
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 08:24 PM

I have stayed at the President (it is a Best Western) 2 times. It's fine. I like it because the rooms are reasonable and the location - with just 2+ block walk to the Grand Bazaar - can't be beat!

The first time I stayed there, I was part of a group and I didn't have a choice. The second time, it was with my family and I chose to stay there because I knew it.

I will say this - with the exception of it's proximity to the Bazaar and a short walk to a wonderful area with tons of fish restaurants - the location is less than lovely. No great views, no scenic walks. But I liked it just fine.

You are close enough to the major sites (Blue Mosque, cistern, Haghia Sophia) - you could walk or more easily take the tram. We chose to take taxis and that was quick and easy.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 08:28 PM

We stayed at the Best Western President last August and thoroughly enjoyed it - room is quite small but bathroom was a decent size - very quiet - except every so often you would hear the Muezzin from the local Mosque!.. walking distance - less than half a block to the Grand Bazaar and about 2 blocks to Blue Mosque. Breakfast absolutely marvellous. Avoid the restaurant around the pool. Walk all the way down the street - away from the Bazaar and there is a marvellous closed off street full of restaurants. Enjoy Istanbul.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 11:17 PM
MNP

We stayed at Nena this past summer and really enjoyed it. The staff was nice and helpful, and we had free transfers to and from the airport. The location was perfect! It is just a few blocks from the Blue Mosque and Aya Sofia, and in the other direction the Grand Bazaar.

The view from the dining area was worth the stay here alone. The pictures that the website shows (and other pictures I have found online) of the view doesn't do it justice. You have a 180 degree view of the Blue Mosque, Aya Sofia, and the all the water surrounding the piece of land Sultanahmed sits on. Ah just beautiful.

Have a fun trip!
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 01:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your comments.

I was thinking how one can read a number of formal reviews yet it is the experience of fellow travellers that really resonates when making choices...and it is much more fun!