Search

Istanbul Hotel Choice - Sumahan vs. Sofa vs. Seven Hills vs. Swissotel

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Istanbul Hotel Choice - Sumahan vs. Sofa vs. Seven Hills vs. Swissotel

Hi -

After doing some research, I have limited my choice of hotels for a 4-night stay in Istanbul this summer. Right now I am having quite a bit of difficulty deciding between Seven Hills, Sofa, Sumahan, and Swissotel.

This will be my first trip to the city. If not for the location, Sumahan seems like the best bet to me... but would I have trouble grabbing dinner in the city and returning to the hotel at night? Does the Sofa lack character? I have also heard the Sultanehmet area is rather uninteresting at night... and is the Swissotel too impersonal?

Decisions, decisions... obviously there are pros and cons to each, but I'd love to hear opinions / advice from those who have stayed at any of these hotels recently. Thanks!
Old May 11th, 2007, 07:54 AM

Sumahan is also what I would choose if I had to.
They have a shuttle boat service between the two sides. Rest of the hotels are at European side but it should not be a problem travelling back and forth also by the ferry which runs continuesly.
I have been to the hotel and their manageress and owners are great people too.....
Happy travelling,
Murat
Old May 30th, 2007, 03:54 PM

We are going to Istanbul in about 2 weeks, and agonized over where to stay, spending hours on tripadvisor.com....
The Swissotel, although business-y and comfortable, is (according to reviews and photos), lacking in charm and good location. We actually had reservations at the Seven Hills, which is supposed to be excellent, but were a little worried about the owner - some thought he was fabulous but others did not like his pushy attitude (he "suggested" a travel agency, rug seller, guide, etc). We are now booked at the Hotel Empress Zoe. For reviews on the other hotels, tripadvisor.com will have all you need to know and more!
Old May 30th, 2007, 06:59 PM

I was having the same dilemma, but opted for The Seven Hills, based on my desire to walk to many of the major sights. I've been in touch with the manager and actually find his e-mails charming, but if we get there and any pushiness is involved, we'll handle it. We're from NYC!

Joking aside, I'm also hoping for a more authentic hotel experience than one might get at Swissotel, but I might be fooling myself.
Old May 30th, 2007, 11:55 PM

Hi,

I have stayed at Seven Hills (Feb 07). We did not have a problem with the manager being pushy. Of course my friend had been to Istanbul many times and we both live in Ankara. The location of Seven Hills is very good and they have a very nice restaurant on the top floor with great views of the Blue Mosque, Aya Sophia, and the Bosphorus. Enjoy your visit to Istanbul!
Old May 31st, 2007, 06:32 AM
Weekender

Emerald:

Your situation was similar to mine a few months ago. We had reservations at the Seven Hills as well but I felt uncomfortable with all the tours, etc. that Bulent wanted to make for us. We ended up at the Empress Zoe and absolutely loved it. (Try and get rooms in the Chez Zoe.) Unfortunately, they were booked for our last few days so ended up at the Ritz-Carlton. Much preferred the Empress Zoe for both ambiance and location.

Old May 31st, 2007, 08:15 AM

The Swiss Hotel is not in a bad location, in my opinion. You can easily walk to the Dolmabahce Palace (an absolute must)and Nisantasi (the via Condotti of Istanbul). Ortakoy, with its fabulous nightlife and restaurants is just a short cab ride away.

I hate Sultanahmet. You will be chased down the street by carpet merchants and everyone you meet will be a Swede or Australian. Stambulis don't hang out in Sultanahmet.

The Great and Powerful Thingorjus