Istanbul and Greece this October

Old Apr 8th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Istanbul and Greece this October

DH and I are going to a conference in Istanbul, in late October, and will be there for 5 nights, in a hotel close to the convention center. Then we have 9 nights on our own, to explore Greece, and fly home.

Greece seems confusing, with so many places to visit, and different ferries connecting them. We don't like moving around too much, so are thinking we'd stay in two places after Istanbul.

Will the Greek ferries still be running regularly, and restaurants open, in early November?

Is Athens the only international airport for flying to the US? The flights I found all leave Athens at 6 a.m., which sounds like a PIA. (I will try to use United Mileage Plus for my ticket.) Or should we fly to Rome from a Greek island, and go to the US from there, maybe even stay a couple of nights (DH has not been to Rome, but I have).

We are most interested in seeing the smaller places in Greece, the ocean views and beaches. Not sure about staying in Athens.

Would we be able to take a ferry from Istanbul to a Greek island which would be good for a multi-night stay, with day-trips to other islands? Or is it better to fly? And to where?

Clearly, I am not knowledgeable about the Greek islands, but I'm working on it! Got my Fodor's book on Greece, in fact.

Can Fodorites help me create an itinerary, please? We are not interested in nightlife, but we like good restaurants with fresh fish. We are looking at this trip as our beach escape vacation. We aren't lay-in-the-sun types, as we prefer to be on foot, walking all day to see the sights and the ocean views. We love being by the water, and having views from the hotel. Would consider snorkeling, but maybe the water is too cold in November?

Where should we begin?? We are very excited to have this blank canvas to plan our first visit to Istanbul and Greece.

Thank you for your help!
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 10:17 AM

Some ferry routes are discontinued sometime October, until springtime, because they're more for tourism than for local use. It depends on which islands you want to visit whether or not you can conveniently travel between them. Your daytrip options will be limited in November. http://www.gtp.gr

All international flights in and out of Greece transit through Athens. Some are non-stop to the East Coast of the States, some fly through other EU international airports including Rome, Munich, Frankfurt, Berlin, Vienna, London, Paris, Amsterdam and Zurich.

There are no ferries from Istanbul to any Greek island. If you're in Istanbul and want to go to a Greek island you'll have to make your way south to a Turkish port town with that access. The closest is Ayvalik, closest to Lesvos. Further south is Cesme, closest to Chios, then Kusadasi, closest to Samos. Bodrum and Marmaris provide access to Kos and Rhodes. http://www.feribot.net/feribot/?lang=en

Where should you begin? With a good guide book (such as Fodor's) so you can make informed decisions based on your interests about where you want to go and what you want to see. As for island hopping, T. Cook's "Greek Island Hopping" is your best option.

It will most likely be too cold to swim in November.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! I have a lot to learn.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

I guess we need to fly from Istanbul to a Greek island, then.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 11:58 AM

That's probably your best solution in November as long as you understand that flying means going to Athens first for a flight to an island with an airport. You can check the Aegean Airlines and Olympic Air websites.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 12:01 PM

You can fly from Istanbul to a Greek Island with connecting flights via Athens. If you go to the islands in November don't expect much to be open or to be able to take day trips to other islands. Personally if I were in Greece in November I would give the islands a miss and spend my time in Athens, with trips to Delphi and the Nafplio area where there is much more to see.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Maybe we should think of Crete as our island visit, and stay 6 nights there.
Looks like it has everything we like, and lots of shoreline.
Since it's furthest south, we'd have a better chance for warmer weather maybe in early November?

I wonder about flying in and out of Crete, and will check the Aegean and Olympic sites.

Anyone been to Crete?

Athens doesn't really tempt us, but do we need to go there to fly back to the US?
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 05:50 PM

All international flights in and out of Greece transit through Athens.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much. I was hoping to fly from Crete to someplace we could get a nonstop to US. No?
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

To clarify: From Crete to someplace other than Athens, since fights leave Athens too early in the morning.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 08:25 PM

Not possible in October.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 09:27 PM
Original Poster

Ok, thanks. I will look into flying to Athens and connecting to an international flight.

Will we be able to fly from Istanbul nonstop to Crete?
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 10:09 PM

Do you not realize that flying from Turkey to Greece is an international flight? Once Again, all international flights IN and OUT of Greece transit through Athens.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 11:22 PM

Hi PeaceOut,

The Greek Islands have a clearly defined tourist season which runs from May through October. Outside that period international flights to/from the islands cease, ferry schedules are reduced, and businesses that cater to tourists are closed for the winter.

In the meantime everything is "all go" in Athens and on the mainland. The Peloponnese is almost an island itself, with a longer coastline than Crete. Nafplion is only 3 hours from Athens by road, and has much more to see in the area than any island. I'm not a Rick Steves follower, but look at his video of Nafplion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd_nShdQ38k
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

We don't have the option to change the dates, so we'll need to decide if Greece is our second place to visit or not. But I've been dying to visit Greece!

Thanks for the recommendations. I will follow up on them.
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 07:30 AM

Fly to Athens and get on a cruise. It will be much cheaper and convenient way to travel around the Greek Isles.
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, V. I have been looking into cruises, as well. DH is not a fan of them, so will have some research to do.

Have you taken one to recommend?
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 11:15 AM

I'm just curious --- why not visit other places in Turkey?
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

We want to stay seaside. Will be in Istanbul 5 nights.
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 12:06 AM

Turkey has a long coast line too. Furthermore you may be able to jumb to a Greek Island then .
http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/t...ndFerries.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -