Istanbul, 4 days?

Search

Istanbul, 4 days?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Istanbul, 4 days?

I have FF tickets on hold for next month and I need to commit to the tickets in two days. I've been reading about Istanbul and I would like to know I can visit these sights independently in 4 days (5 nights), a Thursday, Friday, Saturday and a Friday the folowing week (I have a booked a tour for the other 5 days that doesn't include any sightseeing in Istanbul).

Here's what I'd like to do:-

Topkapi Palace including the Harem,
Bosphouros curise, but not a day long cruise,
Blue Mosque,
Cistern,
Aya Sofia,
Chora Church,
Hacki Bekir's original store,
Grand Bazaar and Spice market (just briefly not interested in shopping)
Taksim Sq
Istiklal Street
Galata tower (from outside, don't want to go up)

The railway station where the Orient Express terminated (would like to go inside not just see it from outside).

Time permitting the Archaeological museum and the Hippodrome, but these are not a priority.

Besides the Chora Church can these sights easily be visited using public transport? And, more importantly is 4 days enough?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 6th, 2011, 07:49 PM

Even the Chora Church is reachable via public transportation. There's a direct bus to it from the Galata bridge. You might find the Rick Steves book on Istanbul useful.

The archeological museum should be a priority for its Roman sarcophagi.

Don't make Taksim and the Galata tower a priority. The tower is worthwhile only if you want to climb up to see the view. Taksim is just a big modern square.

If going to the spaice market, go see the Rustempasha Mosque.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...7622934223233/
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 07:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
In the absence of otherchelebi . . . I think you can certainly complete your program.

The Topkapi Palace will take up a full morning, and Aya Sofia and the Chora Church, will each take about two or three hours, depending on your level of interest.

The Blue Mosque will take considerably less time, as will the Cistern and the Hippodrome -- which is really just a walk-by.

You can combine the walk across the Galata Bridge with a stop at the Tower -- which I would ascend for the views (not the restaurant!), then continue uphill through an interesting artsy neighborhood to to Istaklal Cadessi and eventually, Taksim Square.

We did take the full day Bosporus and enjoyed it quite a bit, but you are a little short on time.

Archaeological Museum is definitely worth the stop, as is the tile kiosk across the way.

You might do something like this: 1st Morning Topkapi, afternoon Chora, 2nd morning Aya Sofia, afternoon Blue Mosque, Cisterns, Hippodrome, 3rd morning Bosporus Cruise, afternoon Spice Market and Grand Bazaar, 4th morning, Archaeological Museum, walk to Taksim as described above. Obviously rearrange to suit opening times and the weather.

Have a great trip!
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 07:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Oops, meant for the Taksim walk to take place in the afternoon.
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 09:42 AM

We walked through the Hippodrome, spent maybe twenty minutes in the Blue Mosque, at least forty five minutes at Aya Sofia and half an hour or so at the Cistern comfortably in a morning without rushing nor feeling we were missing out and that was also including quite long queuing times. They are all within five minutes walk of each other which makes them very doable together.