Notices

Island of Sicily

Old Oct 21st, 2003, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Island of Sicily

We are thinking of going to Sicily for 10 days around the Christmas holiday. Will the weather be mild enough for sightseeing and willl there be enough shops open for tourism.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 09:17 PM

Good morning, danen5
Palermo weather for later December should be about 60 deg f. gor a hi and 51 deg f. for a low. Include with that
about 3.2" of rain.. Have been into Sicilia only once in early December and
recall it being quite pleasant. The summers are more pleasant with little
rain at all. Good hubs for sightseeing are Palermo, Agrigento, Siracusa and
Taormina, two or thre nights in each with the day trips out of them.
Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 11:23 PM
PJI

We live here in Sicily. December should be fine. A little cold but that depends on where you are coming from. If you live somewhere cold already you will think the temps here are mild. You should definitely come to Sicily, its a wonderful place! Expect some rain as we have been getting a lot more than usual lately but hey, it makes for everything looking green and beautiful. Much nicer than the dry dead grasses of summer. You must go to Agrigento, Siracusa, Taormina (just had dinner there on Friday at Granduca) and Catania but I could take or leave Palermo - so much confusion. Trapani and some of the smaller towns such as Enna are also worth seeing. Check into any local festivals that will be going on in the small towns too - those are always the best!
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 07:02 AM

Dear PJI:
I am also going to Sicily for only 3 or 4 days in early April. As of right now, we are planning to go to Palermo, but your message somewhat discouraged me. What would you recommend seeing? In or around Palermo while we are there? Thanks.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 02:08 PM

I went to Sicily expecting to dislike Palermo, but I loved it and wished that I had more time. Don't miss:

The Vucciria Market, the Norman Palace, the cathedral, day trip to Monreale, Cappuchin Crypt, a puppet show... my mind is failing but there is SO much to see & do there. Click on my screen name to pull up a trip report that I wrote back in April.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 02:47 PM
GAC

Palermo is hands down the most important tourist destination on the Island for its art, architecture, museums and cultural attractions. Don't miss it, even though the traffic is bad and the city is noisy. Also don't miss Siracusa and Agrigento for the same reasons. Taormina is strictly for R&R (and it's quite lovely).
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 10:50 PM
PJI

Ok, Ok, I guess the other posters have me on Palermo. I guess if I didn't live here and was only on vacation I would want to see Palermo. Monreale is spectacular and the cathedral is definitely worth seeing. Definitely go to Monreale if you are going to Palermo - its the best church I've seen and believe me, I've seen a bunch. The central part of Palermo is just hectic for me personally. The crypt is just a bunch of skeletons but hey, if thats your thing - go for it. I guess there are so many other beautiful and calm places here that I don't really like going to Palermo. Its all in what you are here to see and what you enjoy. Palermo is a main stop for tourists so I guess thats what people want to see. Its just a personal choice for me. You should go and get the full experience. I guess I am just jaded because I live here. Also, don't miss Agrigento - its my favorite tourist destination. If you can get a guide to tell you all about it - makes it much more interesting. On a clear day you can see the sea from up there and its just wonderful! Forgive me Palermo lovers!