Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Is this Travelex rate a good deal?
Notices

Is this Travelex rate a good deal?

Sep 13th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Is this Travelex rate a good deal?

I'm trying to avoid fees for taking out cash with my ATM debit card. I was planning to get cash from the airport to pay the driver and for pocket money.

On the Travelex website, if you order cash online and pick up at airport, it states you can get it commission free and earn BA miles.

https://www.travelex.co.uk/BA/MoneyN...M&App=MoneyNet

Their US dollars rate is $1.5577 versus Yahoo and XE.com's rate of $1.66. Is this an error or is Travelex giving a better rate?

Also, I recall a couple years ago seeing a Travelex window near the baggage claim area in Terminal 5. I believe that is the terminal which I will be arriving into Heathrow (flying BA). When I go through various pickup points for the Travelex cash, there is no location for "Arrivals Airside". Can anyone please indicate the correct selection if you are familiar with this?

thanks.
Sep 13th, 2009, 02:47 PM

The actual rate at the moment is 1.46 so both are lousy rates. Get your money when you arrive Heathrow at the ATM machine with your ATM card.
Sep 13th, 2009, 02:48 PM
J62

That is the rate to get USD when departing the UK, not to get GBP upon arrival. It'll cost you 100.15 £ to net you $156.

That's a bad deal for UK travelers to the US - they'll spend 6% for this privilege of having not ATM fees.

You won't get the same rate converting USD to GBP.

Not matter how you slice it, even with ATM fees and forex conversion fees getting money from an ATM is the best way to get cash.
Sep 13th, 2009, 02:51 PM

Opps! Sorry. I looked at euro.

Search this Thread