Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is this one day Athens itinerary realistic?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2014, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Athens for 2 nights and 1 full day in mid October. Our priorities are seeing the Acropolis & Museum. We're not sure which order to do some highlights in - and do understand that closing hours may be in flux:

DAY 1 we are arriving at Hotel Attalos around 8pm. So hope to stroll to restaurants in Plaka, maybe dessert in the Central Market (if still open 24/7?)

DAY 2
MORNING: Rick Steves 2 hour "Athens City Walk" (highlights: Syntagma Square, Changing of Guards, Arch of Hadrian, Temple of Olympian Zeus, Anafiotika, Roman Forum)

LUNCH: Souvalki row or taverna in Plaka

AFTERNOON:
1 hour Ancient Agora (not as high on our priorities but it closes at 3pm)
2 hours Acropolis (I've seen conflicting times on how late this is open, 6pm?)
1.5 hours Acropolis Museum

Dinner in Plaka or Psyrri

We fly out early next morning, so no time for much more than this. Any suggestions on changes or restaurants (other than in Rick Steves book) are very welcome. Thank you!
Old Sep 8th, 2014, 06:10 PM

Acropolis closes early in the afternkkn after September, nomonally. The reality of Greek museum hours is frequent hour changes. Don't trust anything printed. Call or look at their official web site now and again just before your visit. Same for the Acropolis museum. You know the museum is closed on Monday?

Because of uncertainties, why would you want to put your priority destinations, Acropolis and its museum, at the end of the day where last minutes open hour changes can wipe them out? Also they get mobbed by tour groups. Go to the Acropolis museum at the opening time, learn about what actually existed at the Acropolis, then climb up Acropolis from the gate in front of the Acropolis museum. It is still quite warm in Oct and you might want to tackle the log walk up in the morning.
Old Sep 8th, 2014, 07:19 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree. Do rhe Acropolis and aAcropolis Museum forst, then Agora. You can do the Athens Walk at your leisure, no time contsraints.
Old Sep 9th, 2014, 03:38 AM
WWK

I agree with the advice above, too. Just a FYI: It's a shorter walk up to the Acropolis if you use the entrance that is about two or three long blocks PAST the Acropolis Museum, on the right-hand side. You will walking away from the city/Plaka.

For restaurants, we really enjoyed ATTIKA GREEK HOUSE. It's located on a street behind The Acropolis Museum. The menu is traditional Greek, served on top of a small apartment building, so you have an amazing view of The Acropolis lit up at night. The food was great and reasonably priced. Make sure you reserve ahead. It's extremely popular.
Old Sep 9th, 2014, 03:57 AM

As <b>greg</b> wrote, check the websites for current information on opening hours. According to the Acropolis Museum website http://www.theacropolismuseum.gr/en/...ours-ticketing it is open from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm on Mondays until October 31st. That, of course, could change. ;-)
Old Sep 10th, 2014, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much. I will switch to put the Acropolis at the beginning of the day. I think I knew to put priority attractions first- at one time- but after lots of researching of so many new details, it flew out of my head!

WWK, thanks for restaurant suggestion- sounds perfect.
Old Sep 10th, 2014, 05:30 AM

I would also if you have to cut time suggest the ancient agora beats the Rick Steves city walking tour for interest. We thought the ancient agora very atmospheric and a highly underrated site. For lunch after acropolis or dinner after ancient agora consider the neighborhood just on the west side of the ancient agora, lots of little restaurants and cafes.
Old Sep 10th, 2014, 06:36 AM

I agree w. laurie ... you can check out the Hadrian Arch, Temple of Zeus, Syntagma square as
'walk-bys" if time is short.... ang the Agora is fascinating and you are right there anyway. THe Rick Steves book does a step-by=step DIY guide to acropolis and also I think to Agora .. if not, plenty of guidance on web. Planetware has great print-out maps of all major sites.
Old Sep 10th, 2014, 07:51 AM

Just another thought. Be sure to arrive at the Acropolis before opening and buy your 12 euro multi site pass. Get onto the site at opening and beat the crowds. This should give you about an hour and a half of peaceful time to really explore the site.
When the tour bus crowds arrive leave. Now consider climbing up Philoppas hill. It is a short walk but gives you magnificent views of the Acropolis from above.
Then see the museum and then head down to the Ancient Agora. I agree with others this site is a must see when you have limited time. Again you will likely still be ahead of the crowds.

Here are images of Athens. In the last few images you will see the view from Philoppas hill and also the acropolis at night from Atallos hotel.
Athens http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr5...7632121475515/
Old Sep 10th, 2014, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Dilemma: museum first then Acropolis or vice versa?

If we do museum first it seems like we'll be able to envision things better once at the Acropolis. But that may put us there mid morning with the bus crowds? (This will be in mid Oct so not sure what the crowds are like then.)
Old Sep 10th, 2014, 05:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't believe you are going to skip the Benaki Museum.

This is one of the world's best small museums.

Weadles does know the best restaurants!!

Thin, dreaming of ilias lalaounis jewellery
Old Sep 10th, 2014, 06:14 PM

As a Greek artist told me, Dacon, when you're going to see someone's house ... do you first go in and see the pictures inthe livingroom, or do y ou look at the outside of the house, and then go inside?? Go up on the rock frst, museum 2nd.
Old Sep 10th, 2014, 06:33 PM
WWK

I agree with travelerjan. Do the Acropolis as soon as you can get yourselves out the door! Just a FYI: Some hotels sell tickets for The Acropolis and Acropolis Museum, which saves some time and means no lines! Ask at your front desk.

I also agree with Pepper von snoot. The Benaki should not be missed. It's beautiful, and small enough that you can easily vist most-or all of it- within a few hours.
Old Sep 10th, 2014, 07:06 PM
WWK

I forgot to mention PSARRAS, a lovely restaurant also in The Plaka. Lunch is especially good.

Tables are set up on a patio/terrace under mulberry trees, close to a series of white-washed steps. Food is traditional Greek again, very reasonably priced. We really enjoyed it!

Apparently Brigitte Bardot was a fan, and hung out there for lunch/dinner while filming in Athens!
Old Sep 11th, 2014, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

I realize (too late) I made a major travel planning mistake. I should have figured out my Must-See things first and then work the timing. Instead I got the flights (itinerary includes Mykonos, Naxos & Santorini )- and now realize the one full day in Athens is too little! So, I don't think we can do it all - Benaki being one. And I would have left off Mykonos. Hey - what do we New Englanders know?!!!

I believe that there is a rapid decrease in brain cells since I have retired. I did have a brain once... But I will keep traveling, and learn from each trip.

WWK: LOVE the story behind PSARRAS... these are the things that catch my interest. I'm not a buy Made-in-China souvenir person. I love the unexpected, catching the local atmosphere. Where a restaurant owner might actually smile and stop, vs think we are just another tourist...
Old Sep 11th, 2014, 05:34 PM
WWK

Dacon-R, Hey! We New Englanders know plenty! Don't worry! Soon you'll fall under the same Greek spell that has "forced" me and my family to sell off everything we own in order to go back again and again!

BTW.. Once in Mykonos was enough for me, but we all loved Paros, Naxos and Santorini. And then of course there are tons of other islands that we haven't gotten to yet!