Is this Italy itinerary crazy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm traveling to Italy in June with three friends for only one week. Two of the women have never been to Italy before and want to see Venice, Florence and Rome. Is it crazh to do Venice for one night, Florence for two and Rome for four?

What is your opinion on taking a car from Venice to Florence, dropping it off, then picking one up again from Florence to Rome? One woman has MS and I'm thinking car travel would be more comfortable and an easier way to deal with luggage. The cost would be about $600. How much do you think train fair would be between these cities?

I'd appreciate input from those in the know! Thanks,

Suse
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 05:59 PM

Where are you coming from? If it is North America, your one night in Venice is pretty much going to be wasted from jetlag. I would cut out either Venice or Florence. If you must get to all three ( and believe me, I understand the desire to see as many places as possible just in case you don't ever get another chance), a better option might be to do a daytrip from Florence to Venice. You could take the train, (which sans luggage might be easier for your friend?) It is about 2 hours each way.

The train vs renting question is hard for me to say, but 4 - 2nd class express train tickets would run you somewhere near 350 euros for the 2 trips.
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 06:08 PM

It is not unreasonable but two cities would work better and I would do 2,2, and 3 in Rome. Assume you are flying open jaws -- into Venice and home from Rome. Skip the car. It is of no use in any of the three cities and most likely you receive one of the dreaded TLZ tickets in Florence for a couple hundred Euro. Trains are city center to city center and even 2nd class is far more comfortable than any car except maybe a limo. As for luggage, a seven night trip can be easily put in one carryon bag,
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 06:33 PM

Is it truly one week? Or is it Friday-Sunday? If yes, that give a bit more leeway. The natural geographic progression with no backtracking would be to fly into Venice and fly home from Rome (or the reverse).

Fri- dep home (assuming U.S.)
Sat- arr Venice
Sun- Venice
Mon- train to Florence
Tue- Florence
Wed- train to Rome
Thu- Rome
Fri- Rome
Sat- Rome
Sun- fly home

If you begin in Venice, you should spend at least 2 nights as Glenmd said since your first day will be wasted on getting to your hotel and possible jet lag. With 2 nights you will have one full day for sure.

You could adjust the days depending on your interests . . . for example, if you don't enjoy Renaissance art, Florence might not be for you--but if you enjoy shopping, you might never need to go in a single museum in Florence. What interests you about these three cities?

I recommend a train for your itinerary. A car is great when exploring the countryside but can be agony in Italian cities.
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 06:33 PM

Hi suse,
Sounds like a fun time for four friends. I would definitely train between these destinations, no worrying about map reading etc. This way everyone can relax and enjoy the scenery. Check the Trenitalia site for train info.

Three locations in one week is very ambitious, but if you really want to I would do as suggested above. 2,2 and 3. If you decide to do two locations that would be even better.

As for luggage. It is really no more difficult when riding the train than taking a car. Everyone should only be bringing one carry on and a purse for a week. If you're taking more than that you are over packing. You will enjoy your trip much more with less luggage to lug around. I'm sure between the four of you, your friend's luggage will be no problem. One you are on the train you can just wheel it up and down the aisle, assuming it is a carry on size bag.

Happy planning,
Michele
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 06:45 PM

Definitely take the train between cities as it will be less stressful than renting a car, driving in the cities, and finding parking. You only need a 21" suitcase each (maximum size) for one week which should be easy to get onto the trains.

Is the $600 cost for the car including tolls and gas or is it only the car rental. I would think the train would cost less than that. There are group tickets you can purchase when 3 or more people travel together.

I would have more concerns about navigating Venice for your friend with MS than about taking trains.
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your quick responses! It truly is for only one week! We will be arriving on Sat and leaving on a Sunday. I think we'll have to do three cities as one really wants to see Florence and one really wants to see Venice! Rome, of course, is a given.

I cannot imagine these women getting everything into a carry on bag. Seriously, how do you fit a few pairs of capris, skirts, tops, underthings, two pairs of shoes and toiletries in one little bag? Those of you that do....PLEASE tell me how I can! What type luggage do you use?
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 07:10 PM

Aside from undergarments, wear everything twice. No one is watching. Unless you spill something, It shouldn't be a problem.
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 07:29 PM

Here are the packing directions I gave my college-age niece for exactly the trip you plan to take, except it was in March. We both used 22-inch rolling carry-ons and tote bags that were mostly empty and our purse fit inside. My niece thought it would be impossible to pack to fit such small bags. When we met at the airport, she said she followed my list exactly (except for adding one top) and it all fit with room to spare. We were able to carry on our luggage. Going home we checked our rolling bags -- her tote was filled with purchases and she expanded her rolling bag to fit her purchases as well.

My list:

* = Wear most comfortable clothes and most bulky shoes on the plane.

3 "bottoms" (pant or capris or skirt as appropriate for season; wear 1 of these on plane*)
4 "tops" (shorter- or longer-sleeve as appropriate for season; wear 1 of these on plane*)
1 long-sleeve cardigan/zip-front top* (matches/fits over all other tops alone or extra layer under coat)

1 pair comfy shoes*
1 pair better-looking comfy shoes

1 jacket/coat* (as appropriate for season)
1 pair gloves* (if your coat is not so warm and it gets cold, gloves will help a lot)
scarf*

slippers (mine are very small--alternate: thick socks)
sleepwear
panties for entire week
bras for entire week
socks for entire week

toiletries (put shampoo/conditioner/and so forth in teeny bottles)
extra eyeglasses
cheap jewelry
wristwatch
travel alarm clock
travel pillow (mine is very small--probably unnecessary for you)
daybag/purse (that I can wear across shoulder/body)
passport
money (I like to arrive with 100 euros)
tickets/reservations
ATM card (to access my checking account for all other money)
credit cards
camera
travel umbrella
guide books/phrasebooks
leisure reading

I might, might, might add another top and pants, reserving the comfy ones for both plane trips. But every time I add something at the last minute, I never end up wearing it.

It's good to pack two pairs of shoes in case one pair gets wet and also to give your feet a change of pace.

Before I go I empty my wallet and purse of anything I will not need in Italy. Then I make photocopies of all cards and IDs I've left in my wallet, including my passport and airline/hotel information. I keep one set of copies in my suitcase; I leave a second set of copies at my office, so if anything happens I can call them and they can help me. Some people scan them and email it to their own email address.
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 07:54 PM

It's a bit fast paced, but as long as you're aware of that going into it and promise each other not to whine then you'll be fine.

The trains are actually very comfortable and much faster and easier than driving. Mom and I took the train from Venice to Rome (goes through Florence on the way) and it was great. I have pictures of the ticket machines in Venice and the insides of the train. http://tinyurl.com/238b5hj She had a 25" roller bag that *did* fit in the car with us, though that was only because we were among the very first on the car in Venice and nobody told us to move it. I wouldn't suggest that. Someone else shoved an even larger bag into the rack across the aisle and blocked half the aisle with it. It's much easier to just take a smaller bag as you're only going for a week. I had a travel backpack that is the same size as a carryon roller bag but fits a lot more in it.

The 2nd class seats are in groups of four around a table and are very comfy. Your friend with MS could get up and walk in the aisle a bit if she needed to, and I think it's only 2-3 steps up into the train. As a warning, when you get on the train in Florence to go to Rome you'll need to be ready to get on when the train pulls in as the train is only in the station for a short time.

Once you hit the train station in each city you could either walk, take a taxi or bus (or Metro in Rome) to your hotel.

For packing, one trick is to pack a couple times. Get out a carry on size bag and start laying things that you want to take out on your bed. Okay, does it all fit? If not, pull it all back out and look at what you can leave behind. Keep doing that until it fits comfortably. Take clothes that can be mixed and matched instead of set outfits. Each bottom should be able to be worn with at least 2 tops. Shoes take up a lot of space so wear the bigger pair and pack one pair. Remember to leave room for purchases.
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 08:03 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>Seriously, how do you fit a few pairs of capris, skirts, tops, underthings, two pairs of shoes and toiletries in one little bag?</i>"

I take either a 19" or 21" rollaboard whether for 1week, 1 month, or for longer.

You don't need a "few pairs" of capris - 2 max. You don't need a "few skirts" 1 or 2 max. Make sure every top you take goes w/ all the 'bottoms' (Pants/skirts).

Don't think in terms of 'outfits' - but in mix/match groups. If every (or most anyway) top coordinates w/ every bottom, 2 capris, 1 skirt, 6 tops and a cardigan will net you nearly 30 outfits. More than anyone needs for a week.

Add scarves/a shawl and you have even more variety.
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 08:09 PM

I didn't see Iowa_Redhead's post. Same sort of advice . . .

Mix/match is your friend
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 08:16 PM

Using a car between cities is much too much trouble. A car is only worth your time if you are seeing small towns not served by public transport.

There are a lot of threads here on the Europe forum about using a small carry on for a week or more. You can get dozens of great tips.
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 08:17 PM

suse- you CAN pack in a carry-on only. I did it for two weeks in Europe!

ROLL your clothes up- do not lay them flat. Rolling takes the air out. Put as much as you can into your extra pair of shoes (stuff it with socks, underwear, whatever).

Don't take any toiletries unless you have to have something special. When you get to your first destination, go to the pharmacy and get a small bottle of XX that you all can share. Toss the remainder before you return home.

I agree w/above. If you can fly into Venice, spend 2 days, then 2 in Florence and 3 in Rome. Though, I am also of the school that you will feel like you've seen nothing and spent all your time packing/unpacking/traveling.
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 08:19 PM

Sorry. It submitted before I was done.

Even if you think you have to have special "shampoo"- think about it. It is one week without your special stuff. Deal.

I wish you all a marvelous time!

Buon viaggio!
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 08:36 PM

"<i>Even if you think you have to have special "shampoo"- think about it. It is one week without your special stuff.</i>"

Or -- even if you DO need that very VERY special shampoo -- go down you your local target/Walmart/supermarket/whatever and buy small (2 oz is more than plenty for a week) plastic bottles and pour in some of your shampoo. Same w/ face creams/moisturizers -- buy a small (1 oz or less) plastic container and scoop in some of your product.

And things like toothpaste/mouthwash - every drugstore/big box/supermarket sells travel sizes of most things you need.

You certainly <i>could</i> buy toiletries after you arrive -- but for just a week that isn't necessary IMO. Longer trip - yes, maybe. But for 7 days you can get way more than enough of your liquids/gels into the quart ziplok baggie.
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 09:08 PM

<<<Or -- even if you DO need that very VERY special shampoo -- go down you your local target/Walmart/supermarket/whatever and buy small (2 oz is more than plenty for a week) plastic bottles and pour in some of your shampoo.>>>

Again, do a practice run ahead of time. Fill the small bottles and use them for a week at home. You'll know exactly how much you need that way and won't worry about taking too little or way too much.

Walmart has a packet of various tiny size bottles and jars back near their luggage stuff in addition to the 3oz bottles in the travel/trial size stuff near shampoo. Those tiny jars work excellently for moistuerizer, creams, makeup powder, etc.

<<<ROLL your clothes up- do not lay them flat.>>>
Hehe, this is one of the fun differences in travel style. I fold mine flat. Try it one way, then try it another and see what works best for your clothes and bag.
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 09:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
In terms of toiletries, it's amazing how little you need for a week or two. As Iowa suggested, do a practice run with the amount you can put in the small travel bottles.

At Sephora I asked to buy a couple of the tiny plastic pots they use for samples. They gave me two for free. Each pot holds a tablespoon or less and that's more foundation than I use in two weeks. I use the second pot for a gel rouge which takes up less space than powder blush plus a brush.

If you don't live near a Sephora store, some cosmetics lines in department stores (Clinique, Lancome) also have these tiny sample pots. Just ask for a couple of color or formula samples of foundation.
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 10:04 PM

"<i><<<ROLL your clothes up- do not lay them flat.>>>
Hehe, this is one of the fun differences in travel style. I fold mine flat. Try it one way, then try it another and see what works best for your clothes and bag.</i>"

I do neither -- I sort of 'bundle' them. Rolling works(but I find things wrinkle a fair bit). And folding flat works since you aren't trying to cram in 85 outfits and the kitchen sink.

IME bundling has the best of both -- and nothing except the lightest of silks wrinkles at all.

I've tried them all, but bundling is what I demonstrate in my packing classes.
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 01:26 AM

<< how do you fit a few pairs of capris, skirts, tops, underthings, two pairs of shoes and toiletries in one little bag >>

If you can't fit these things into a 21" bag then there's some problem. Don't forget that you will be wearing one outfit and you're going in June so you won't need more than a sweater or pashmina if it's a bit cool at night and you can wear that on the plane.

What size bags were you thinking of taking?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -