Reload this Page >

Is this a good price?

Search

Is this a good price?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2000, 09:17 AM
steve

Is this a good price?

I have a price ($700) from a tour co. for a self drive package that includes r/t air, six nights of vouchers, and a car for 8 days. I think this is a pretty good price but am wondering if i could beeat it if i book all parts separately. What do you all think?

Old Jan 22nd, 2000, 09:31 AM
leny

Steve, how about some details: where, when, what hotel, what car

Old Jan 22nd, 2000, 09:32 AM
Rex

From where to where? <BR> <BR>If it's from Vancouver to Athens, it's extraordinary. <BR> <BR>If it's from London to Brussels, it's overpriced. <BR> <BR>Try telling us again what you mean to tell us the first time. <BR> <BR>Rex

Old Jan 22nd, 2000, 09:35 AM
Rex

Golly! <BR> <BR>We Fodorites like to pounce on these incomplete questions, don't we?

Old Jan 22nd, 2000, 10:56 AM
Maira

This sounds like the ones for Ireland from either NYC or Boston. If that is the case, a lot of people on this forum have taken it and should be able to tell you about the price. If the deal is good until the end of April, you can do better. <BR> <BR>Well, Steve...to where/when/what's the deal?

Old Jan 22nd, 2000, 03:34 PM
steve

OOOPSSS!!! <BR>Sorry, left out the most important parts! <BR> <BR>It's ny to dublin, shannon, or belfast. Nights will be in a b&b we pick from about 450 all over the country. Aer lingus is the airline. Car will be a "economy" w/ a stick.

Old Jan 22nd, 2000, 05:13 PM
Rex

You still left out the when, which makes all the difference ion the world. <BR> <BR>I have just put together a high school student trip for 8 days, 6 nights, Columbus (Ohio) to Munich/Austria/Venice for $700 (yes, there is a catch, I am doing this one non-profit, and I am not charging them for the van rental/gas/tolls), since I am going with two of my own children as well. <BR> <BR>Because the dates are March 27-April 3, the budget can be this low (airfare $348 R/T, including taxes). If it were in summer, it would cost 75-125% more. <BR> <BR>So give us the dates for which this deal applies. If it is soon, it is okay, but not all that spectacular. Doesn't mean you shouldn't do it though. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex

Old Jan 22nd, 2000, 05:26 PM
Steve

Mid may, approx the 14th to the 27th or so.

Old Jan 22nd, 2000, 11:38 PM
Fiona

Hi Steve, <BR> <BR>Working it out, I think it's a fairly good deal....I'm going to use the current exchange rate of 1.28 US$ to 1 Irish punt <BR> <BR>In Ireland, Aer Lingus is now advertising 300 IRP for NY-Dub ( other airlines might be cheaper but not by much). This is 384US$. <BR> <BR>An average B&B costs 15IRP a night (I'm basing this on what my aunt used to charge a couple of years ago in Galway). So six nights = 90IRP = 115US$. <BR> <BR>Rental cars in Ireland are quite expensive...I'm guessing 30IRP a day including insurance (I used to rent one when I came home from the US at Christmas but I cannot for the life of me remember what it cost). An economy car in Ireland means a very basic car with a 1 litre to 1.3 litre engine such as a Nissan Micra or Opel Corsa. A Neon or Geo storm (??) would be a good comparison. This car is fine, very economical around cities and the small roads in the country, but something a little bit more powerful is always better on our good roads. So, I digress but 8 days = 240IRP = 307US$. <BR> <BR>Adding this up, the grand total is 806US$, so yes, I think this is a good deal. I have been a bit conservative in my estimates ( Ireland is getting more and more expensive all the time, and since May is approaching the high season, prices can increase) <BR> <BR>Nevertheless, whatever you decide to do...enjoy yourself!!! <BR> <BR>Fiona.

Old Jan 23rd, 2000, 10:15 AM
Maira

That is a good deal for a Mid-May self-drive/RT/lodging package to Ireland. (If you don't want it I'll take it!)

Old Jan 23rd, 2000, 01:31 PM
Cathy

Stve <BR>That is an excellent price. Fiona's estimates are evry conservative a typical B&B costs £19-£22 ($24-27). Car hire has gone through the roof. A small car is not a bad idea in Ireland as in the cities parking can be difficult. Take it while you can. may is a good time to visit even though the tourist season starts in mid-March, it does not hit a peak until June. Which option are you to take ? Decide on which part of the country you want to see (and keep an eye on the political developments in Northern Ireland during Feb. - crunch time) and decide upon what you would like to do. Shannon is good for touring the west, south and south west coasts - scenery wonderful. Dublin is great for historic things - Book of Kells, Newgrange ancient passage graves etc and the Irish culture. Belfast is historic (recent history) and offers an opportunity to explore the North coast line and the Giants Causeway. Post if you need help. <BR>

Old Jan 23rd, 2000, 02:20 PM
steve

Thanks all for the input! This deal is through sceptre tours. I think i'll book it.

Old Jan 24th, 2000, 06:56 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Whoa, I think I'm missing something. A night in a B&B in Ireland costs around $25? Is that per person based on double occupancy? Or is that for the room? Would you expect to get a bathroom for that? If so, that's got to be one of the best travel bargains around.

Old Jan 24th, 2000, 06:20 PM
Steve

Brian: Based on what i have read yes it is per person and i'm pretty sure it is based on double occupancy. I would expect for that to have a bathroom. In the larger cities the price would be higher though.

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 12:23 PM
Kavey

When they include car rental that often means they dont include all the extras which you cant drive without such insurance, collision damage waiver, additional drivers etc. These are what the car rental companies make their money on so the rental itself is usually dirt cheap. <BR> <BR>If only the car rental but not all those costly extras are included you should check how much they will add to the cost. If they are included BOOK NOW!! <BR> <BR>Have fun <BR> <BR>Kavey