Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is this a good plan - mainland, Rhodes, Samos

Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

College graduating daughter and I are planning an early May visit --- what do you think of this itinerary. I doubt I will ever have the opportunity for a return visit. Any suggestion of hotels and activities would be appreciated. We are budget minded but do like a clean room with a decent bathroom.

Day 1 – Arrive in Athens
Day 2 – Athens
Day 3 – Hydra – day trip
Day 4,5,6 – Classic tour Olympia, Delphi, return to Athens (stay at an airport hotel)
Day 7 – Flight to Rhodes
Day 8 – Rhodes
Day 9 – Rhodes – day trip to Symi
Day 10—Rhodes – day trip to Turkey?
Day 11 – Flight or ferry to Samos ; not sure about this
Day 12 – Samos
Day 13 – Samos -- day trip to Patmos
Daby 14 -- Flight to Athens
Day 15 – Fly home

Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 06:59 PM

Miss Maple,

Have you done any research on the day trip to Turkey from Rhodes? I'm very interested in this as well. I know you take the ferry from Rhodes to Turkey, but are there options as to what city in Turkey you go to? Is it a guided tour or do they let you plan your day? Do you know around how much it costs/person?

Thank you!
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 07:33 PM

I think the destinations are a good plan, but not the sequence.

I'm going to say what all we 'old GReek hands' repeat over and over so bear with me -- we always suggest you do the Islands first, and all that Athens stuff and day-trips last.

Practical reason #1 is that if there's some hang-up or delay, you have the "athens time cushion" at the end so you don't miss your flight back (to USA?).

Reason #2 is it avoids a double trip to the airport, a waste of valuable time if you have just 14 days.

My personal added reasons are (3) you can more fully appreciate Athens' sights & museums after you have been immersed in the Greek experience a bit. and (4) why not start right off with an Island and get over your jet lag there???.. and it's such fun to wake up on day #2 in a Greek Isle!

Since your farthest Island is Rhodes, I recommend when you arrive in Athens, walk right down the corridor and get on Aegean Air to Rhodes;it takes 1 hour to fly. You'll be in Rhodes for the sunset.

RHODES I did that last year, flew in/out May 18 to Rhodes. May 19 we took the public bus to Lindos, climbed the acropolis, and flaked out on Lindos Beach & swam too.. water was just great!

You do need at least a full day to explore Rhodes Old Town. On Weds & Sats.you are allowed to walk on top of Rhodes Town medieval wall.. a real treat. Do you plan to rent a car? If so, you may want to take another day to see the untouristy south & west sides of island. (Thats 3 days if you're counting) As for Symi, that's your call -- I hear that after looking at houses in the port, there's not much else to do but shop. Maybe that's your thing, not mine.

(Re TURKEY from Rhodes?: Depends what Turkey site interests you most. If it's Ephesus, I'd rather recommend the day excursion from Samos.)

NEXT "HOP": No flights from Rhodes to Samos. THere used to be a direct ferry, but it's cancelled. Samos is in a different group (N. Aegean), and as you may/may not know, hard to hop between groups. Here's what to do:

PATMOS: There's an evening ferry to Patmos, on Sunday (& Wed?). The next day, do your sight-seeing there; go up to the monastery. FRom Patmos you can get a ferry to Samos. (There are daily excursion boats from Samos --- you could take a one-way on one of them in late afternoon; check port office about this).

SAMOS: Go to Hotel Pythagoras in Vathy -- ask for a balcony on the Bay side ... it's an impeccable family hotel (about 30E a double in May). They're on the internet. Tell Stelios Janet from Philadelphia sent you ... There's a little beach just below your balcony. And walks up to topof isle (Ano Vathy/High Vathy) are spectacular. Relax, enjoy. Don't miss Vathy museum; has largest "kouros" statue in the world. Samos is a much-overlooked island. FRom here You can take your day trip to Ephesus easily. You can also rent a car for a day to see the beautiful villages in West of Samos.

ATHENS -- You can fly back from Samos on Aegean Air bargain fare. THEN do your Tour to Olympia... THEN Go up to Acropolis, and to Arch. Museum. THEN if you wish, do your day trip to an Island in the bay (But I'd recommend Aegina over Hydra). Have a last dinner in the Plaka district... and THEN (not before) buy your souvenirs for homefolks... it saves lugging trinkets around for 2 weeks.

That's what I'd recommend, based on my 6 long (20-30 day) trips to Greece (7th coming up in May).

Well, that's a start.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 08:09 PM

It seems to me that you are mostly planningt to use Rhodes as a jump off spot to go someplace else. If you are planning to go to Rhodes then enjoy the island. It will take at least two days to explore the Crusader city and a day to visit Lindos and you still won't have had time to sit on a beach to relax. For me Greece is about relaxation. Don't try to do so much that you miss the enjoyment of where.
I honestly believe that in Greece one should take your time and experience where you are. Quantily is not necessarily Quality. If you really want to see it all in a couple of hours, then take a 7 stop in 4 day cruise.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 10:05 PM

Miss-Maple, I lived in Greece for a number of years and one of the islands I lived on was Samos. I like travelerjan's itinerary very much. It makes good sense. Good luck.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 10:40 PM

Actually, according to their website, Olympic Airlines DOES have one direct flight from Samos to Rhodes in May, on Tuesdays and Saturdays. It's a late-morning flight departing around 11:15. It takes 25 minutes.

http://www.olympicairlines.com/
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 06:24 AM

brotherleelove, when you're right, you're right! But I think you meant to say from RHODES to SAMOS, since that's the direction Miss Maple wants to go. I clicked your link, and the Olympic flite leaves 11:20 Tues & Sat, arrives 12:05 and costs just 52+Euros. NOTE: that's only 2x per week; all other flights require going to Athens & flying BACk to Samos.

It's a good choice, for time-saving. for PATMOS they could always take one of those day-excursions from Samos.
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your valued input -- especially Travelerjan and Brotherleelove. I am going to change my island hopping to go there first -- that does make much better use of time and saves some extra-hassle of check-in, check-out.

I also look at Kos - hotels and many are sold out -- when I looked at reviews of hotels quite a few comments related to close to the bars as a primary concern -- my impression is that it is a real party island -- so it's back to Samos -- I will use the flight option from Rhodes to Samos on Olympic. As I understand -- you can't book the island flights for 2007 just yet. So I need to book Aegean flights ahead of time as well?

Old Nov 4th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

I have revised the schedule -- and added another day in Rhodes, to get over the jet lag as you have suggested -- chillin on the beach.

Day 1 - Arrive Athens, fly out to Rhodes on evening flight
Day 2 - Rhodes -- hang out at the beach
Day 3 - Rhodes - Saturday - tour Old Town, walk along the top of the wall
Day 4 - Rhodes - Sunday -- maybe island hop to Symi or would this be a better day to visit Lindros.
Day 5 - Rhodes - maybe visit butterfly valley.
Lodging in Rhodes -- I am considering the Best Western -- would that be a good central location or would I be better off closer to old town.

Day 6 - Fly inter-island Rhodes to Samos - Lodging Samos
Day 7 - Samos - Ferry to visit Patmos -- maybe take a local tour to this island there and back if available
Day 8 - Samos - visit Turkey for the day
Day 9 - Friday - fly morning flight back to Athens
Day 10,11 - Athens
Day 12,13,14 - Classic tour to Olympia, Delphi, return to Athens
Day 15 - Fly home

Regarding Athens Lodging -- looking at staying in the Plaka area at the Adrian, Electra or Plaka Hotel. Good suggestion about visiting the Accropolis in the pm -- I think in May the temps shouldn't to unbearable. Any dinner suggestion for near the Temple.

Old Nov 4th, 2006, 06:05 PM

You're gettin' there Maple Lady! ALmost got it...Leave Day 2 as you have it, for Lindos. You won't need extra day in Rhodes -- I highly recommend you fly to Samos on Day 5, not Day 6.. so you'll have a day to explore the town of Vathy itself a bit (on Day 6). Afer all, Days 7-8 are day trips AWAY from this dear isle... e-mail me for details and photos if you wish.Samos isn't just a transfer point, it deserves at least a day.
As for lodging in Rhodes, if you really want the Rhodes experience why not stay in Old Town itself? We stayed at a lovely pension right within the walls, Pink Elephant (!yes) you can "google it" and see photos, rates & e-mail. Lovely milanese woman runs it, and you walk these cobblestone walks right along the medieval walls. Easy walk to the "sights" but away from the cruise-ship throngs.
As for activities, sights, etc on all above, do as we do: go to library & get all the guidebooks, and Xerox the parts that interest you. That's the way to learn, and to get the most out of this lovely trip. Then you'll know better what questions you need to ask about specifics Good Luck!
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 09:06 PM

Yes, sorry for my confusion. I DID mean from Rhodes to Samos.
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Travelerjan and fellow Fodorites: Thanks for the reply, how's this itinerary:

Day 1 - Athens arrival, fly on to Rhodes
Day 2 - Rhodes
Day 3 - Rhodes - Old Town (Sat)
Day 4 - Day excusion to Symi
Day 5 - Lindros
Day 6 - Fly to Samos (Olympic Tue)
Day 7 - Patmos - day excursion
Day 8 - Ephesus - day excursion
Day 9 - Samos
Day 10 - Fly to Athens (Sat)
Day 11 - Athens (Accropolis)
Day 12-15 - 4 day Classical tour including Meteora
Day 16 - Athens - free day
Day 17 - Fly home

I have added an extra day to visit Meteora -- after reading many Fodorites posts it seems to be an worthwhile extension to put up with a really long bus trip back. I also switched a day from Athens to Samos.
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 08:36 AM

Congratulations! Rather than short-change some of the stops on your trip you wisely ADDED 2 days to your itinerary.

I always feel that you shouldn't rush back, after having taken up to 24 hours (17+ and & 7-hour time change) to even REACH Greece! In fact, I don't refer to my "trips" but rather to my "Quests" since getting there inevitably means a trying journey... but the rewards for valor are great!!

PS: Since you're keeping that extra day in Rhodes, hope you'll get a car and use it to explore the unvisited parts of the island. However, I do entreat you not to go to "Petaluma" valley, since tourist intrusion is endangering the butterflies.

Now for the fun part -- arranging all the details. Enjoy!