Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is this a disappointing airfare??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 10:01 PM

I finally purchased our tickets from SFO to London Heathrow for the middle of March. Our total is $611 each round trip/non-stop. (Virgin Atlantic -- through a consolidator. After purchasing they let me know that the flight is listed as Continental, but operated by Virgin. They didn't tell me this until after they had my payment information.) <BR>The British Airways sale did nothing for our travel dates as we're leaving too late in March. And I did find fares for $414 EACH on United.... but waited until morning to purchase & they were gone. OUCH. So now the air is out of my balloon. Is the $611 a horrid fare?

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 04:10 AM
Judy

Jillian, I know how you feel! I don't think it is horrid, and if you need to travel on certain dates, they sort of(airlines) "got" you! The non/stop part is pretty decent. I would pay more for that! I hate layovers, too many things can happen. Did you see Air France had a sale starting today? I don't know if they fly out of SFO. FYI, Judy

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 04:19 AM
Erin

BTW, traveling to Europe on Continental is not that bad. I've done it and it was one of my better flights to London (British Airways was the worst). Also just because it's listed as Continental doesn't mean you are flying on a Continental plane...Virgin and CO have a code share partnership. I think Continental flies into Gatwick, not Heathrow.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 06:58 AM
Vanessa

Jillian, <BR> I bought my ticket from cheaptickets.com for my trip to London last September. I was flying roundtrip from Chicago. It was Virgin Atlantic also, and I think the ticket did say Continental too. But the airplanes were Virgin Atlantic planes. The flight to and from London were the best I've ever been on. Even though I was in economy I was treated like I was in first class. Virgin Atlantic is a great airline. With taxes and everything, I paid $584 which isn't much cheaper than your price, and consider that you are flying all the way from San Francisco while I was only coming from Chicago. I think you got a good deal, especially if it is a Virgin Atlantic plane.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 08:21 AM
JP

Don't know exactly what dates you are looking for, but when I randomly chose March 16th to 23rd, TISS shows availability on Continental for $335.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 09:53 AM
Carol

Jillian: <BR>If you are on Continental . . . <BR> <BR>We flew Continental to London (from Tucson) last year and it was a wonderful flight. <BR> <BR>The seats were comfortable and roomy, the flight attendants were great, and best of all were the nifty screens behind each seat that allows each person to watch whatever they choose. <BR> <BR>It was overall an excellent flight and we're already booked again for this May.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 10:37 AM
Susan Letcher

Its not really a good fare. March is the cheapest travel time, and I went to England last year in March for about $400. I think you got ripped off deary. <BR> <BR>Nothing u can do about it now, so enjoy your trip. Take a nice jacket, its chilly that time of year. And dont forget to taste REAL scones while there. And try red bull and vodka. MMmm

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 12:15 PM
angel

Please don't beat yourself up over this. You bought the tickets, you're going -- just focus on the next thing you have to do. It's like a friend said once, "We ALL pay too much for our cars." <BR>