Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is there or was there a river or region called "der Ahe"?

Feb 28th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

I am trying to find out if it really exists/existed. It's part of my name name and a language instructor said "der Ahe" was a region or river in Holland.
i would love to see/visit it on my upcoming trip if possible.
Feb 28th, 2009, 05:05 PM

Are you sure that is the way it is spelled? In Dutch the letters ij are pronounced as "I", as in "Ijselmeer". So if this is the correct spelling he was talking about the Ij river. That is the large river that runs behind Central Station in Amsterdam.

I may be all wrong about this, as I only lived in the Netherlands for about six months, and only speak a few words of Dutch. Perhaps one of the folks from Holland, like hetismij, can put this one to bed.

Feb 28th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

well my families name was Von der Ahe before coming to the U.S. before my great grandfather. Of course it was shortened and changed once here. i wa always told it was Dutch but "Von der" means "from the" in German. So who knows for sure:/
Feb 28th, 2009, 06:13 PM

You are probably right. I just thought that the name may have been too difficult for the immigration chap at Ellis Island, and he might have changed the spelling of the name phonetically, as they often did.

You are probably aware of the famous baseball Von der Ahe - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_von_der_Ahe

Perhaps a trip to Holland would be in order, just to find out more.

Feb 28th, 2009, 07:05 PM

I think the Dutch mostly use "van" instead of "von", don't they, like in Rembrandt VAN Rijn.

Anyway, there is a town called Ahe, in Niedersachsen, Germany. Chris von der Ahe, mentioned in the above post, emigrated from Germany. I think it is more likely that your name is German than Dutch, altho that is just my opinion.
Mar 1st, 2009, 01:51 AM

It certainly sounds more German than Dutch, van de(r) would be Dutch. There are a couple of rivers called Aa, but I've haven't heard of anywhere here called Ahe. Va Aa, and van Ee (another river) are Dutch names.
There is a German voice actor (who dubs US TV programmes and films) called Antje von der Ahe, so it would seem more likely to be German in origin.
However that doesn't mean that your family didn't emigrate from the Netherlands - over the centuries lots of Germans, for a wide variety of reasons, have found a home/sanctuary in the Netherlands.
Mar 1st, 2009, 02:00 AM

Hang on a minute! looks like I could be wrong - I just found a Dutch site about the family name van der Aa, and one of the variations in the name spelling is van der Ahe (with an a, not an o)- so you could be Dutch after all.
It does come from the name of the rivers. The most famous/noble family van der Aa lived in Nieuwer ter Aa near Breukelen (Brooklyn!) which is near Utrecht. Another group come from Den Bosch, but it is a name found throughout the Netherlands.
Mar 1st, 2009, 02:18 AM

Hi laurel; This is a good site to ask any questions about family names/desendants. Just go to the country of choice and 'post' your question. ENJOY iris1745/dick www.genforum.genealogy.com/
Mar 1st, 2009, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everbody for all your help. I will keep researching too. Still hoping what Ive been told my whole life is "True" that we were Dutch. I really wanted to see some of our "Homeland". No matter I will still be there in May 2009. Yeah I can't wait to get there!
Mar 1st, 2009, 07:46 AM

I would've sworn I drank German wine from a region called "The Ahe" but a Google search brings up no real info. I thought that it came from somewhere near Trier.
Mar 1st, 2009, 08:26 AM

Otzi there is a region in Noordrhein Westfalia called der Ahe.
Mar 1st, 2009, 09:48 PM
Original Poster

Wow you are all great. So apparently I'm German. Well that will excite my daughter as she was born there. I will just secretly claim Holland too though. lol

What's dissappointing is that I actually lived in Germany for many years and never looked there because I was told it was in Holland.
I guess it's just another excuse to plan another trip to Europe next year hahahaha
Mar 1st, 2009, 10:07 PM

Well, as others have said, your ancestors could have been Dutch who emigrated to Germany years ago!
Mar 2nd, 2009, 12:55 AM

Ahe is an ancient German word for river or waters. BTW, it is "die Ahe". "Von der Ahe" means someone living by a river.

If you can read German, take a look at Wikipedia http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahe

There are two rivers in Germany called Ahe, and several places called Ahe.
Mar 2nd, 2009, 01:38 AM

Lauren you could still be Dutch, as I said it van der Ahe is an alternative spelling of the name van der Aa. That it became Von could be due to your family emigrating and the spelling being misread at some point - in some hand scripts a and o are very similar after all.
Enjoy your trip to the Netherlands. Try and visit Nieuwer ter Aa whilst you are here - it may be the ancestral home
Mar 2nd, 2009, 02:45 AM

Or German speaking Swiss from the region of the river Aar/ Aare, a tributary of the Rhine?
Mar 2nd, 2009, 03:54 AM

I second the Aare possibility! When you pronounce them in German, Ahe and Aare sound very much the same...
Mar 2nd, 2009, 04:00 AM

Maybe the name came from the day your dissenting ancestors were chased out of Catholic Germany and into Protestant Holland; as soon as they reached the safety of the Netherlands, Great Great Great Grandpa exclaimed: "Aha!!! So now ve are in Hollant!!"
Mar 2nd, 2009, 04:18 AM

>I would've sworn I drank German wine from a region called "The Ahe" but a Google search brings up no real info. I thought that it came from somewhere near Trier.

Not Ahe but Ahr is the name of the wine region.
A river flowing into the Rhine from west between Koblenz and Bonn. Altenahr, Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler, and Remagen at the river mouth are the best-known towns, and there are a number of wine villages in between.

-

BTW, there is a noble German family named "von der Ahé" - note accent.
Mar 2nd, 2009, 05:15 AM
Amy

Just another possible angle...Might it have been "Pennsylvania Dutch"? This is a very commonly used designation for the (mostly German) Protestants who settled in Penn's tolerant colony. There are a few theories as to why this name may be used, ranging from "Deutsch" in German to the idea of the Netherlands at one time being part of the Holy Roman Empire and a "Germanic" people. The PA Dutch are probably most known now as the Amish and Mennonites, but a great many Lutherans and other Protestant sects are included.

Happy info hunting!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO