Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is there a way to avoid lines at Eiffel Tower?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29th, 2000, 07:42 PM
Diane

Is there a pass to purchase? A 'best' time to go?

Old Feb 29th, 2000, 08:54 PM
Ralph

No, you'll just have to wait in line with the rest of us. Depending upon when you're going, you could try for a very pricey meal at Jules Vernes on the second level, but you're likely to be relegated to the "Trocadero" room with views on the "other side" at horrendous prices for a pretty good meal...if you are even able to secure reservations. Views are not the best from there. The best times to go are mobbed (mid-day, dusk). Otherwise, you may want to consider getting in line a half hour before opening or an hour before closing. No matter, the lines and crowds are worth it (or why would everyone bother?). Or, you could take a very expensive tour to the second level. The tour buses have "appointments", but the congestion is considerable all the same. Your best bet is to stay in a hotel nearby, and check out the lines as you go to and fro everyday. You just never know. When the line is short - hop on!

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 04:45 AM
elaine

As has been suggested here, the best way to avoid lines at the Eiffel Tower is to not wait in them. If you want a view from a high place, go to the terrace on the 9th floor of La Samaritaine store #2. You can have a snack at the same time. Or go to the Tour Montparnasse in the 14th; ugly building, great view from the top, and your view will include the Eiffel Tower. Or climb to the top of Notre Dame, assuming the towers aren't closed because of Dec storm damage.

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 06:13 AM
nolines

You might try going on a cold windy day, a good heavy rain will help cut down on the lines too.

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 06:50 AM
Al

You could try climbing the steps.

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 07:05 AM
elvira

No passes; if there are 20 of you, you can get a group rate and immediate entry. There are guided visits which you arrange ahead, but they're probably pricey for just a couple of people. <BR> <BR>The best months are February and October for no lines, or as suggested, in really bad weather. Be in line for the opening may help too (but not by much); whether climbing or taking the elevator, you still have to wait in line to buy the tickets. If you opt for climbing, then once you get your ticket you can just start up the stairs, not having to wait for the elevator (which can be another 1/2 hour or more). <BR>Avoid HOLIDAYS - everyone in the entire Universe wants to go up the Eiffel Tower on a holiday...

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 07:10 AM
Stacy

This was the worst Parisian experience for me, so here's what I wish I'd known: <BR> <BR>1. Don't go on a weekend evening, esp. not a holiday weekend (like Ascension). <BR> <BR>2. Notice that there are more than one places to get in line. The elevator cabs are stacked two-together, so if you are in one line that seems shorter, it may just be because it's snaked upstairs or downstairs to get in the second cab. Scope out the line's destination before you get in it. <BR> <BR>3. After all is said and done, I don't think the trip to the very top, 3rd level, was worth the combined claustrophobia and acrophobia -- you are jammed tightly together but are more or less open to the world at a dizzing height -- because the view is only slightly more impressive up there than it is at the more sane 2nd level. <BR> <BR>4. Getting down at dusk/nightfall is much worse than getting up. They only allow the cars on the 3rd level to fill half-full to save room for those getting on at the 2nd level. People become testy, push and pull, and there's NO crowd control, even to the minimal extent that there is on the ground. I was separated from my husband for nearly a half hour -- total time for descent from the top between the decision to leave and touch-down was about 1 3/4 hrs. Had we stayed at the 2nd level, it would have been a breeze. <BR> <BR>Re:best time to go -- probably early morning, but it's not nearly as wonderful a view as sunset (the city as it lights up is a Disney-surpassing wonder of sparkles). If you can afford the dinner, consider doing that.

Old Mar 1st, 2000, 07:14 AM
jwagner

Just how expensive is the Jules Verne? I had heard the prices were fairly reasonable and only a bit of a splurge. I made reservations on-line and found it to be fairly easy. <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 2nd, 2000, 08:45 PM
Alesia

Visited Paris Valentines weekend of 1999 and toured the tower at night. It was kind of breezy but the lines were not very long and the view was wonderful. In the observation tower at the top you could look at the lights throughout the city and see a panaramic photo display of the city during the day. It was an experience of a lifetime.

Old Mar 2nd, 2000, 10:10 PM
Joanna

I think it all depends on many factors - time of year, time of day, weather, etc. I was there on a beautiful day in September, 1994 and didn't have to queue at all. As I recall it was around midday.

Old Mar 3rd, 2000, 05:14 AM
Meg

We ate at Jules Verne on our honeymoon. With a nice bottle of wine, the bill was close to $400 - which, of course, is monthly rent in some places - but, we were glad we did it. Have we ever gone back? No. Will we ever go back? Highly unlikely. The food was delicious. The view was incredible. A lifetime experience is worth that price, but I can think of other things I'd rather do with that $400 on my subsequent trips to Paris. Oh - by the way, we were the only ones in the Jules Verne elevator for the ride up.....

Old Mar 3rd, 2000, 06:43 PM
Diane

Thanks for the responses. I've been up the Eiffel Tower 20 years ago, and last year went to the 9th floor of the Samaritaine Dept. Store. This time I'm going with a friend who has never been to Paris and I think she'd really enjoy doing this. I, however, could skip it. Oh well, I've been on lines before, I guess I can do it again. As for $400 for dinner for two, it's just not in my budget. I like to eat out for about $30-$50 for dinner for two. We had no problem doing that last year and ate well. The dollar is stronger this year, so I have my hopes up.