Reload this Page >

Is The Tube That Bad?

Search

Is The Tube That Bad?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 1999, 06:28 PM
Heidi

Is The Tube That Bad?

Hello-Is taking the tube at 9.30 am direct to Russel Square with luggage really that bad?I have been getting many posts against it.Is it very crowded? Dirty? Is a cab much easier and worth the extra $$? <BR>Thanx <BR>Heidi.

Old Jan 19th, 1999, 06:39 PM
anna

If you don't have anymore than one rolling carryon and a backpack or large purse, you can take the tube anywhere at any time. It will be a little crowded but you'll live. Don't get on at rush hour with multiple large bags, though.

Old Jan 19th, 1999, 06:40 PM
Wes Fowlere

Heidi, <BR>Since you say "direct to Russell Square", I assume you are coming direct from Heathrow Airport on the Piccadilly tube. Unless you're carrying a ton of luggage, I'd suggest you do it. Commuter crowds begin to let up about 9 AM; by 9:30 you should be alright. Russell Square, one of the deepest tube stations in London, has a monster elevator to street level, so you'll avoid significant stair or escalator climbing when you exit.

Old Jan 19th, 1999, 06:40 PM
anna

If you don't have anymore than one rolling carryon and a backpack or large purse, you can take the tube anywhere at any time. It will be a little crowded but you'll live. Don't get on at rush hour with multiple large bags, though.

Old Jan 19th, 1999, 08:01 PM
Bob

I travel to london frequently and always use the tube. It is much easier than many other forms of transport. (I once made the mistake of letting my B & B book a "cab". It was a jypsy non-black cab type and I almost missed my flight out as my driver was hopelessly lost!) <BR>

Old Jan 20th, 1999, 02:57 AM
Nigel Doran

Hello <BR> <BR>The Tube is not that bad, though with luggage at rush hour it will be unconfortable. However, at least if you get on at Heathrow you will be more or less guaranteed a seat and it won't be too much of a push as it is the top of line station. <BR>You can take the Heathrow Express for £10 one-way {single is how we say it}. It is super fast and comfortable, but the expense for a family is considerable. It takes you to Paddington, from where you will have to take the Tube or a taxi. I think you should take the Tube as long as it is not in the rush hour and make sure your luggage is light. Taxis will be about £35-40 from H'row, but a posting earlier on today talked of one for £22. <BR>The Tube generally is clean and good to ride. Commuters will disagree perhaps, but it is extensive and does cut out a lot of car use. <BR>Buy a Travelcard for a week or daily for the Zones you need, usually just Zones 1 and 2 for the main sites. You will need photos for the weekly one and it will cost £17 and allows you 'free' travel on all Tubes, buses and trains. London Transport has a website {www.londontransport.co.uk}

Old Jan 20th, 1999, 01:28 PM
Walter

<BR>There is a happy medium between the tube and a taxi. There a few mini-bus desks in Heathrow where you can buy your tickets and be dropped off right at your hotel and arrange to be picked up for your return flight. I was all jet lagged out and can't really remember the details but I followed the signs to maybe Taxi/shuttle bus? and the desks are right at an exit with the pick-up right outside the door. <BR> I arrived early Sat.AM and left on a Sun.AM so rush hour traffic wasn't a problem for me but take that into consideration. I let someone borrow my London guidebooks but I believe the shuttle bus info is in the "Let's Go London" guidebook. <BR>...Regards, Walter...

Old Jan 22nd, 1999, 04:33 PM
Kathy

I stayed in a hotel 4 blocks from Russell Sq we took the airport bus from the airport it was convenient and dropped us off around the corner from the Tube station price was a bit higher but not worth thinking about and the bus ride was nice I think it may have taken about the same time 1 hr.

Old Jan 22nd, 1999, 05:46 PM
Marti

I believe Kathy and Walter (two previous authors) are referring to the airbus..it is convenient, takes one hour (to or from the airport). Driver is helpful. bus is clean. stops are close to frequent/major underground stations.

Old Jan 23rd, 1999, 03:10 AM
Walter

Shuttle bus- <BR>I found my boarding card for the bus I took from the airport. It's called "Golden Tours Airport Shuttle". It's one of those small shuttle buses you see in airports that rental co. and hotels use, holds maybe 15-20 people and you can stand up in it. But it drops you off and picks you up *at* your hotel. There were also other shuttle bus companys next to Golden Tours at the airport. ...Regards, Walter...