Reload this Page >

Is the thiefery really bad in Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2000, 04:09 PM
Jackie

Hi, <BR> <BR>Everyone in my family says that the thiefery is really bad in Europe. I would appreciate any comments you have!! <BR> <BR>Jackie

Old Mar 10th, 2000, 06:06 PM
howard

This subject has been discussesd almost ad nauseum on this forum lately. Thievery and other crime is no more prevalent in Europe than it is in the U.S. (I'm assuming you're American.) If you stay alert, are aware, take normal precautions and follow a lot of the advice given on this forum, you'll be okay. As for your family, tell them not to worry so much!

Old Mar 10th, 2000, 07:27 PM
alan

Hi! I just wanted to respond to your question. We have traveled in Europe for many years and have not had any problems with theft. You do have to use common sense however and don't flash money etc. around. europe is on the whole safer than the US. I would not go for a walk after supper in most US cities as I do when I am over there. I believe that it is probably safer than NYC and several other American cities. <BR>alan

Old Mar 11th, 2000, 06:15 AM
Mary Ann

I agree with the two posters above. We have been 3 times, 1984 1997 and 1999, all driving tours. Caution in any big city USA or Europe is the same. And we too walked a lot at night in Prague, Paris and other cities. When leaving our car, we left nothing visible, which since we had a stationwagon, we used the cover. We did avoid alot of jewelry, taking only a few items, however we still wore diamond engagement rings. Perhaps the only difference between walking in the US and Europe is protection of your passport. Which is why we did use belt type or hidden pocket protectors for it, ATM card, credit cards and cash. Lets face it if you are robbed in a US city, you can still get back home, if you are from the US. Its another story if you lose your passport in Europe. Always kept a copy in another location. We also made our hotel reservations in advance so we knew the areas we were staying in and the hotel, pub or B&B was always very helpful with directions and if there were any security problems (most were for the car where we primarily used gated car parks).

Old Mar 11th, 2000, 09:15 PM
Ben Haines

Fodors <BR> <BR>No: it isn't. For detail, you'll find that the consuls of four countries hear of scams, thefts, and dangers, so give good advice. This is found <BR>from Australia on http://www.dfat.gov.au/consular/advice <BR>from Britain on http://193.114.50.10/travel <BR>from Canada on http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/menu-e.asp, under "Travel Reports" <BR>from the USA on http://travel.state.gov/travel_warnings.html <BR>Some experienced American travellers find the American site over-cautious. It is therefor useful to check all four sites. <BR> <BR>Please write if I can help further. Welcome to Europe. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 13th, 2000, 02:41 AM
frank

The problem is not that there are more thieves, but that as a tourist you will be targetted. <BR>Tourists have valuables in easy-to-carry <BR> forms, also their brains, which worked fine at home, seem to switch off due to jetlag & unfamiliar surroundings. <BR> <BR>I assure you the same thing happens to European tourists in the US! <BR> <BR>Don't even try not to look like a tourist, they can spot you from the expression on your face.Take sensible precautions, follow the sound advice given on this forum & you will be OK. <BR> <BR> Remember there is no such place as "europe" really - it is a collection of <BR>cultures, be prepared to adjust your precautions as you travel.Be aware of where you are - cities are worse than <BR>the country, poor places worse than rich. <BR> There are places where you could leave all your belongings at the roadside for weeks, others where you must be constantly on guard.Take your cue from the locals. <BR>Carry a photocopy of your passport, or better, email a scan to yourself so that you can always get a spare from a cybercafe. <BR>Separate your funds, don't have it all in the one place. <BR>That way you can forget the worry & get on with the vacation! <BR>

Old Mar 13th, 2000, 02:59 AM
Falcon

Be very careful. The best bet is to take only one credit card and write down the emergency number which you will need in the event of reporting its theft. Make sure the one you take has a policy of quick replacement: if you are a victim of theft you will short of money.

Old Mar 13th, 2000, 09:10 AM
Ben Haines

Fodors <BR> <BR>I'm just back from a fortnight in Ukraine, Poland and Berlin, and usually spend about a month a year on trains and in two-star hotels in central Europe. While I like the general tone of this corrsspondence, my own habits differ a little in part. <BR> <BR>I see belt protectors, bum bags, and all of those as not only an invitation to theft but also as ugly. When I check into a hotel I ask reception whether they want me to put passport and valuables in my hotel room wardrobe or into the hotel safe, and follow their advice. So day to day on the streets I carry just one credit or debit card, a photocopy of the main parts of my passport, and cash. The card is my chief source of money: I have perhaps 100 dollars in cash, and that stays in the hotel. So do tickets, passport, and hree furthr cards. Three, because I travel with four in all, two Visa and two MasterCard, so that if one is stolen I can simply report the loss, and carry on by using the other three. Visa and MasterCard because some countries favour one, some the other. Amex is of little use. No passport: I've never been asked for one. If a police officer were so to ask I'd show the photocopy, say "Passport in hotel" and see what happened next. <BR> <BR>I travel by train, so cannot comment upon safety in cars. For international rail journeys I carry my passport, ticket, fifty dollars of currencies of the place I'm in and he place I'm going to, and a credit card. All other valuables are in a used brown envelope wrapped in a dirty shirt well down in my largest suitcase, except that cards are scattered. Before setting foot in such notorious railway stations as Prague Hlavny and Krakow Glowny I put passport and card under a book in the top of my suitcase, and banknotes into the top of a sock. It's hard to pick from a sock. <BR> <BR>Please write if I can help further <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 15th, 2000, 12:30 AM
Silvia Rotheimer

Hello Jackie! <BR>It depend where you go. In the eastern countries - yes. In the south in the big cities like all over the world. I am very well travelled. I have made 7 trips to the US and all over thze globe. You have to watch out. But in central Europe it is OK. Don't be affraid. Enjoy it! <BR>Best regards from Vienna <BR>Silvia