Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is the German Twin Rail Pass best for this itinerary?

Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:36 PM
Original Poster

Here is our itinerary for my daughter (who will be 16) and me. It's part of a longer trip that also includes flights to Amsterdam and Bucharest, but that's not relevant to this question about German rail transport.

Here's our prospective itinerary. So far as I can see, the 4-Day German Twin Rail Pass which I can buy for $406 CAD (~262 Euros) is our best bet. From looking at different options on Bahn.de , I know special discounts are possible in some situations, but I have no way of knowing now whether these will be available for me. And if I can't set the time in advance, these won't help at all. I also wondered if a 5-day Germany/Denmark pass might be best, but Railsaver.com says no.

August 15 - Train from Cologne to Hamburg - I can't set the time for this one, so I can't buy the cheapest tickets in advance.

August 16 - Train from Hamburg to Copenhagen - I could set the time in advance if I needed to do so. My understanding is that with a German Twin Rail Pass, I would buy separate tickets from Puttgarden (at the German border) to Copenhagen.

August 18 - probably a daytrip from Copenhagen, maybe to Malmo. Time could be set in advance.

August 20 - fly EasyJet to Berlin (no rail component)

August 22 - daytrip by train to Dresden. Could set time in advance.

August 24 - Morning train from Berlin to Cologne. Could set time in advance.
Apr 4th, 2007, 07:14 AM

WillTravel,
checking railsaver.com, it looks like EurailBenelux-Germany Saver Passes might suit you better...This is a pass for two people travelling together in the countries indicated, 1st class=$US386, 2nd class=$289, travelling on any 5 days within a two month period.

I tried to search point to point tickets (only orderable online 89 days before trip), but came up with only a partial list for Germany's section:
Koeln-Hamburg 4 hours- 70-82 Euro
Hamburg-Copenhagen - 6 hours -?price
Copenhagen-Malmo ?
Berlin-Dresden 2-3 hours and 29-55Euro
Berlin-Koeln 4.5 hours and 98Euro
= 218 Euro or about $300US, just for German section.
Before ordering online, I'd call the 800 number to verify that this pass best suits your needs.
Apr 4th, 2007, 07:21 AM

Oops! I had the prices for SAVERPASS wrong--better still-1st class $289 and second class$225.
Apr 4th, 2007, 07:29 AM

Well usually railsaver.com uses higher prices than those actually available in Europe when doing their calculations and as they real motive is to sell railpasses (Owned by Wandrian Rail, a clone of RailEurope, using the old Italian Eurailpass franchise to sell passes - and is one of just five companies in U.S. i believe to wholesale passes to agents as well as sell directly to clients) it's hard to believe their advice that a pass is not best is wrong.

But your itinerary seems to lead me to believe they are. As your Danish tickets wouldn't be much you may go for the German Twin (and can return from Malmo by boat to Germany and have half the boat fare paid for by the pass - if it's a discount you do not use a day of travel on a flexipass - if it's 100% covered you do.
Apr 4th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

I don't need a Benelux component - that's taken care of by my flights.

I don't need a way to get from Copenhagen or Malmo to Germany - that's taken care of by EasyJet, which I've already purchased.

Railsaver.com says the Puttgarden to Copenhagen ticket is $37 USD - I find that hard to believe because it seems so cheap. Will I actually be able to walk up and get that price?

Railsaver recommends the 4-Day German pass - presumably because the Puttgarden to Copenhagen ticket is so inexpensive. If that part isn't true, their calculation is off.
Apr 4th, 2007, 08:46 AM

FYI, you don't need to set a time in advance to take the train from Copenhagen to Malmo. You just need to show up at København H (the main station) and from there you can purchase a ticket and jump on the next train. From what I remember the train ride to Malmo takes about 30 minutes and costs about $15 Canadian per person(maybe less, I can't remember exactly).

On a side note, if you're looking for a day trip from Copenhagen, I would really recommend Helsingor instead of Malmo. Helsingør is a town in the northern part of Denmark - its the home of Kronborg Castle (aka. Hamlet's Castle), and its right on the water - you can look across to Sweden or even take a ferry across (to Helsinborg in Sweden). Its a bit longer of a train ride (about an hour) but Helsingor is worth it and I enjoyed it a LOT more than Malmo!
Apr 4th, 2007, 08:54 AM

Yes the train fare from Puttgarden to Cope should be about that i would think or a little less as railsaver.com i believe often inflates fares a little (perhaps to sell passes?)

Your German pass will take you half way on the boat from Puttgarden to Rodby - covers half the boat fare so you go to the ticket window in Germany before getting on the train, show your pass and buy a supplemental ticket from where the pass cuts off to Copenhagen and similarly in Cope on the return.

When it took the Cope H-Malmo train recently i paid much more, about $25 each way - the new line over the dramatic bridge over the Sound - great views. But maybe price has come down as it'snot that far.
Apr 4th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

That's good to know about that Puttgarden ticket. My recollection from 2003 is also that the Copenhagen-Malmo return ticket was more expensive than $14 USD (which is what Railsaver says). However, what I ended up doing was buying a 24-hour ticket, which I then used for another trip the next day. So we might do the same again.

I agree that Helsingor might be better for tourists, but my daughter wants to go to Sweden, if only just barely, and might meet up with a friend there.
Apr 4th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

I know if we went to Helsingborg, that's an easy ferry ride from Helsingor - and Helsingborg is Sweden too. However, my visit to there is marred by the memory of the drunken Swedes picking up cheaper beer and calling out neo-Nazi slurs at people.
Apr 4th, 2007, 09:02 AM
ira

Hi WT,

www.bahn.de says Puttgarden to Copenhagen is 52E, 42E discount fare.
Apr 4th, 2007, 09:09 AM

In that case grab the railsaver.com ticket at $37

As for Sweden - i've gone to Lund, Sweden twice on day trips - it's just a few minutes beyond Malmo on train - one of Scandinavia's loveliest towns - university town with old buildings and famous breathtaking cathedral - Malmo on the other hand has always left me full of breathe

There is the Round the Sound loop - Cope-Malmo-Lund-Helsingborg- boat to Helsingor-train to Cope also.

But i highly recommend Lund over Malmo.
Apr 4th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the Lund suggestion. That sounds much better. When I visited Malmo, I liked the canal tours, but really the city seemed pretty dead.

Ira, I wasn't able previously to pull up that price with Bahn.de - I got a message about not being able to calculate the price. I'll look again. And it does seem like a good idea to buy the RailEurope ticket if that price is real.
Apr 4th, 2007, 11:45 AM

railsaver.com ticket - you can check RailEurope pricing as well but it will not necessarily be the same. But mailing charges may boost that price quite a bit. www.raileurope.com
Apr 5th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

The Railsaver link to buy the tickets leads eventually to railkey.com .

When I enter the information to buy the Puttgarden to Copenhagen tickets, I get a price of $75 USD per adult, rather more than the $37 that Railsaver.com states it should be (and again I'm following the link provided by Railsaver.com).

As suggested by Ira, I tried Bahn.de and see that I can get two Puttgarden-Copenhagen tickets for 85 Euros total which is a discount price (I entered a date a month ahead - I hope this will be available when the possibility to buy my tickets arises).
Apr 5th, 2007, 11:27 AM

If it's a discount ticket on bahn.de it would say something like SPAR fare - otherwise if you put a date in in the future and just see a price then that price would be the same the day of travel as well i believe.

85 euros for two sounds like a regular price - at least can't believe it would be much more than that but not sure.
Apr 5th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

I think it's 104 Euros for two without the discount.
Apr 5th, 2007, 11:50 AM

You may want to revisit the Germany-Denmark saverpass which costs $48 p.p. more than the German Twin but is for 5 days of travel instead of 4 - 42.50 euros p.p. for the Danish ticket would be about $56-57 a person so even if using but 4 days on your pass it would seem cheaper - and if you can use the fifth of the minimum 5 days on the Ger-Den pass all the better - use it around the Copenhagen area to Roskilde, Elsinore and such.

4 day German Twin is (2nd cl) $173 p.p. ($US) thru RailEurope and 5 day Ger-Den saver is $221 p.p.

Note that German pass is good for one month period whilst the Ger-Den pass is good for a 2-month period. Thus some folks traveling or staying in Germany for longer than a month - like students studying - may want to buy a Ger-Den pass instead of German pass even if not going to Denmark a'tall.
Apr 5th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

PalQ, I think you are right. I can get the 5-Day Germany-Denmark saver pass for $536 CAD (347 Euros) from raileurope.ca. If I got the 4-Day Germany twin pass, that's $404 CAD (261 Euros), and I still have to shell out at least 85 Euros for the Puttgarden to Copenhagen component.

This goes to show that railsaver.com can't be trusted entirely.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

I've thought of another strategy, but it involves spending a few hours in Cologne on August 15 to ensure no problem with plane delays.

Buy a ticket like this:
Cologne - Berlin, via Hamburg on the outbound with a 23 hour stopover in Hamburg. Via DB and advanced booking, it looks like I can get a 155,25 Euro ticket for two people total.

August 15, Cologne-Hamburg
don't use the Hamburg-Berlin portion of the ticket
August 16, Hamburg-Copenhagen
Through this link on DB (but not through the regular links on DB), it looks like advance booking gets you two tickets for 65 Euros one-way.
http://tinyurl.com/2mjnzo

August 24, Cologne to Berlin, using the return portion of the ticket mentioned.

This is 155,25 + 65 Euros, so about 220 Euros.

This does not give me any daytrip travel, of course. Also, would there be any complications from not using part of the ticket?
Apr 24th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

For some reason, the 5-day Denmark-German Saver Pass is now cheaper than when I last looked at it - $434 CAD (284 Euros). So even if the above strategy would work, this pass looks like the best deal for sure.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO