Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is supervised NAAT test ok for Portugal entry?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2022, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

Is a Supervised NAAT test accepted for Portugal entry? I am hearing mixed feedback. Guidelines say self tests are not accepted, but this was a proctored one. Our PCR test results are partially delayed (my son hasn't got his) and we have an early AM flight tomorrow. It doesn't look like I can get any other appointment and results before the flight time. Would love to hear any experience with supervised tests (like Cue+).

Thank you in advance!
Old Jun 8th, 2022, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

I should also mention that the Air Canada checkin process only needed the CDC cards (there was no option to upload both CDC card and -ve Covid test) and I have our boarding passes
Old Jun 8th, 2022, 05:41 PM

This is the info I found: https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/new...nts-explained/
Old Jun 9th, 2022, 01:32 AM

Officially, a monitored self-test is not okay. But - and here’s the but - no one ever asked for tests so you should be fine. Take whatever test you can and have it and, if needed, you can do a test at the airport.
Old Jun 9th, 2022, 02:21 AM

If you are fully vaccinated and can prove your status with an acceptable certificate, you don’t need a test.

Otherwise you will need a test.

Mandatory to present:
- A valid vaccination EU Digital COVID Certificate (with a complete vaccination schedule or with a complete vaccination schedule and a vaccine booster)
- Or a valid test or recovery EU Digital COVID Certificate,
- Or a valid vaccination certificate (with a complete vaccination schedule or a vaccine booster) or recovery certificate issued by a third country, under reciprocal conditions
- Or a negative RT-PCR Test (or similar NAAT test) - 72h before boarding, or
- Or a negative Laboratorial Rapid Antigen Test- 24h before boarding (according to the European Commission list)

Guidelines state tests must be carried out by a professional which a proctored test is not.

https://www.visitportugal.com/en/content/covid-19-measures-implemented-portugal

IME best to read official guidelines from government websites of the country you’re going to to avoid getting mixed opinions.

Last edited by balthy; Jun 9th, 2022 at 02:24 AM.
Old Jun 9th, 2022, 02:32 AM

balthy,
The OP is in a pinch with not enough time to get the test. The OFFICIAL requirements are, of course, the test performed according to the criteria you listed. In practice, however, this was not enforced in my experience and, judging by the comments on the different travel boards, rarely ever enforced. The OP was asking whether it would be acceptable to use a monitored self-test and, while it is not officially accepted, she has already received her boarding passes. We flew into Portugal, received our boarding passes with just the CDC cards, and no one ever asked for our tests. I'm NOT advocating ignoring the rules -- I'm only providing real world experience. We did have our tests ready to show but it was never checked. I suggested getting an antigen test at the airport as well.