Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Driving from Interlaken to Meiringen to Wassen via Sustenpass route 11?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are driving from the Interlaken area headed to Lugano. Have checked viamichelin and their recommended route is via Luzern, but their scenic route is across to Wassen. Has anyone driven this road (number 11) and is wild and hairy? And, can we get on the N2 at Wassen to go south towards Lugano? Would love to hear from you.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 11:48 AM

I have driven vom Interlaken to Wassen and on to Altendorf. The Sustenpass is beautiful, as far as sights go. Also, unlike some of the other pass roads I have driven, it is a wide road in good condition. Obviously, it has its share of hairpin curves, but when I last drove over the pass there was a group of British classic car enthusiasts driving it, so really no sweat for someone with a modern car.

I have not driven the road across the St. Gotthard Pass, south of Altdorf. On my road map it looks as if on the southern side of the St. G. it is autostrada (autobahn), so easy driving.

If you think that driving 2 passes in one day is one pass too many, check if you can put the car on a train across the St. Gotthard.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 12:41 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We also were behind a classic car club on the Sustern Pass and it was snowing quite hard. We drove over this scenic pass in mid-Sept.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 12:47 PM

If going over the St. Gotthard instead of taking the tunnel, you will be on a narrow road with many hairpin turns. On the other hand, traffic will be light because most travelers take the tunnel. The second picture is taken from the top of the St. Gotthard looking south.

http://www.photoworks.com/members/sl...837&key=mksfca
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 02:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've travelled both many times. Both are relatively wide and easy to drive.

For narrow passes, see Grimsel and especially Nuefenen and Furka and some parts of Lukmanier.

My favourite is Lukmanier. My least favourite is Gotthard pass.

For a very scenic route, take the Lukmanier (turn right at Biasco), the Oberalp (easy, wide and short) and then go head over the Susten.

There are endless possibilities of going over passes in that area.