Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is September a good time to visit Monet's Gardens in Giverny?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Paris in late September.

Would that be a good time to visit Claude Monet's Gardens? Will flowers still be in bloom? Or would we be better off visiting in the spring?

Thanks.

Woody
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 07:35 AM

The garden is planted to be showy all year, although obviously some spring and summer bloomers will just be over. I was there in early September, and it was quite evocative of Monet's work.

But something tells me that, all other things being equal, if I had a chance to go at the right moment in spring or summer, I'd choose that over autumn.

But if autumn is your only chance, you'll still find it rewarding, despite the intensely touristy feel of most of the area.
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 07:42 AM

In September the lawns will be full of pink colchicums. The dahlias are eye-catching, and there are roses and nasturtiums in bloom at the house garden. No wisteria flowers, but the vine covers the bridge, and the pond is surrounded by greenery and impatiens.

I've only been there in September and would love to go back in every month because there's always something different in a well-planned garden. If I were you I wouldn't wait for a later trip; if you can go now, go, and if you return to France in spring, go again then.
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 09:20 AM

If you go to the Giverny website, there is a link to a garden calendar that will show you what is in bloom in each month. Sorry I don't have it bookmarked. We have been there in May and very early Sept. and it was great both times. The May visit was gorgeous but late summer was well worth the visit.
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 09:28 AM

Here is the website with all the info you could possibly need! Check out the 'Flowering calendar" for your answer.
http://giverny.org/gardens/
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the good advice. We will visit the Gardens in September.

Do you have any recommendations for lunch? Also, is the guided tour worthwhile? (20 EUR per person for group of four or more.) Or is it best/sufficient to just walk around and explore on one's own?

Thanks.

Woody
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 07:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've visited in September and would agree that the gardens were beautiful even if you could see how they'd be spectacular in the spring and summer. I found Monet's house there at least as interesting as the gardens and, for me, possibly more.
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 07:50 AM

I think you can go on your own.

I ate lunch at La Terra inside Giverny, and it was acceptable, although tourist-priced. Better would be to bring a little picnic. They may not let you eat it inside Monet's garden itself, but there are other places to sit and relax in the extensive site.

By the way, I am surprised by the number of people I've heard say that they visited Monet's Garden in Giverny but have never set foot in the Musee Marmottan in Paris itself. The latter is one of the most affecting and wonderful museums of painting in all of Europe, and far more memorable than the garden,
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 07:57 AM

There is a place to eat just down the street from Monet's House and Gardens. It is toward the church/cemetary where he is buried. It is in the American Art Museum - and you can eat outside. It was really lovely and the food was reasonable and good. You don't have to pay to get into the cafe.
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 09:20 AM

Giverny in September-October is glorious, at the peak of its bloom, overflowing with color. I've been in spring, summer and autumn and think autumn is the best. The trees around the pond add to the show as they take on their fall colors. There's no need to take a guided tour. Be sure to leave enough time to visit the house as well, it's worth doing. By the end of September you shouldn't run into too many group tours. Most of them try to time their visits to arrive when the garden first opens and to leave before lunchtime.

As you leave the garden, turn left and walk a short distance down Rue Claude Monet. You will pass a few other gardens you can peek into. Then you will come to the Musee d'Art Americain, which has a small restaurant. You don't have to pay an entrance fee to the museum to eat there. The museum also has a good garden. Here are some photos of Giverny and the museum gardens in September: http://www.gardentouring.fotopic.net/c1542908.html
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 10:17 AM

We recommend the parking lot at Monet's garden for a bring-your-own meal. We got to Vernon before the shops closed and bought bread, cheese, drinks, chocolate bars, and pastries and drove to Giverny. The parking lot was nicely landscaped and fairly quiet considering it was Wednesday and every schoolkid in the area was visiting the gardens. And then we enjoyed a nap in our car before our garden stroll.
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 02:51 AM

I am going to Paris with some friends who have never been there - I've been a few times. I am thinking of going to Giverny on my own while they are at the Louvre. Is it a pleasant and easy trip to just take the train, walk around, have lunch and come back by myself? Do I need transportation from the train station to the gardens? Can all be done in one-day without being too rushed? Thanks.
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 04:07 AM

I just read another posting that gave directions from the train station to the gardens.