Is Roommate Matching ok?

Feb 2nd, 1999, 01:04 AM
Rosana Sialong

Is Roommate Matching ok?

I'm traveling alone through Trafalgar to Europe for 15 days (Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, France, London) sometime May'99. I've heard some nice and bad things about Trafalgar but is willing to take the risk. I'd like to solicit some insights or advice with regards to roommate matching for single traveller like me. Is it okay, safe or should I rather spend additional for single room? Thanks.

Feb 2nd, 1999, 07:05 AM
John

Rosana, I would guess that you could end up with someone who is the nicest person in the world, a perfect match that would enhance your trip. I can also imagine that you could just as easily end up with the most miserable person in the world, a real nightmare that would make you wish you never took the trip. Who knows? A 15 day trip is not cheap. How much will you really save? Is it worth taking the risk?

I don't think it is a matter of safety. I think it is more a matter if you will be compatible. If you would really like a roommate, why not try to get a friend, someone you already know and are comfortable with to go with you? Although, keep in mind that travelling with someone for 15 days and sharing a room could be very different.

A lot depends on what type of a person you are. Are you flexible, easy to get along with, not set in your ways, etc.? Does it matter which bed you sleep in? Does it matter who uses the bathtub/shower first? Will it upset you if the person is a total slob and throws her things all over the place? Will it bother you if she uses your things whether she asks or not? Will it bother you if the woman is a non-stop talker? Will it bother you if the woman dosen't say more than 10 words the whole trip? Will it bother you if the woman snores like a horse?

Personally I would be very reluctant to share a room with a perfect stranger for 15 days. Sometimes it can be difficult sharing a room for 15 days with someone you know and love and have been with for many years.

Feb 5th, 1999, 09:49 AM
Martha

I took a Trafalgar trip to Scandanavia
2 years ago , my first 2 trips I booked
for a shared room but ended up with a
single at no extra charge. On this trip
however, I was put in a room with a woman about 15 years older than me. We
got along great until she fell asleep
that night and the snoring began, she
could have awakened the whole hotel.
After three nights of no sleep on a 15
night tour I asked the tour director for
a single room which took two more nights
to acquire and I was told I would have to pay the additional charge first. I
really did not think this was a good way
to do business but paid it anyway. I
would never again do a roommate matching
because you are really not matched. The
single supplement is worth it.

Feb 5th, 1999, 09:36 PM
traveller

Geez, lighten up, kids. It's only 15 bloody days out of your life. Trafalgar is arranging a room share, not your marriage. If the prospect of sharing room with a fellow tourist for 15 days intimidates you, how can you be happy on a tour bus sitting closer to a perfect stranger than you'd sit next to your husband watching TV?

Feb 5th, 1999, 09:41 PM
Dayle

Sorry, but loud, non-stop snoring to wake-the-dead is intolerable coming from even the most loved one.

Feb 9th, 1999, 08:18 AM
tolerable

Dale,
With that intolerant attitude, I rather doubt you have any loved ones left to annoy you.

Feb 9th, 1999, 11:42 AM
D. Spiegel

That's a lot of money to spend on a 15-day trip without being able to get any sleep. I'd probably not want to risk it. However, keep in mind that you could wind up in a room by yourself for the lower price -- but that's a gamble.

Feb 10th, 1999, 09:49 AM
John

I guess snoring really hits a sore spot for many. Very interesting. Traveller, you said, "it's only 15 bloody days out of your life." True, but why spend even 1 day with someone you rather not be with? If not given a choice, then so be it. You would certainly just grin and bear it, but in this case, a choice can be made. 15 days without a good night's sleep? I cringe at the thought and do wonder how many would survive. You probably would end up sleeping all day and missed out on all the sites.

Feb 10th, 1999, 11:30 AM
Brian in Atlanta

I find that a good pair of earplugs helps in many situations when I travel (snoring, loud trains, thin hotel windows with buskers singing Jimmy Buffet songs all night in the plaza below, etc.)

Feb 10th, 1999, 11:32 AM
Brian in Atlanta

I find that a good pair of earplugs helps in many situations when I travel (snoring, loud trains, thin hotel windows with buskers singing Jimmy Buffet songs all night in the plaza below, etc.)

Feb 10th, 1999, 11:33 AM
Brian in Atlanta

I find that having a good pair of earplugs helps in many situations when I travel (snoring, loud trains, thin hotel windows with buskers singing Jimmy Buffet songs all night in the plaza below, etc.)

Feb 11th, 1999, 11:21 AM
jeff

Rosana,

Word to the wise: Pay the extra fee to have your own room. Too much of a risk that you'll be paired up with someone who might spoil your trip. You never know who you'll end up with. Who knows? It could be a very smelly roommate.

JD

Mar 1st, 1999, 10:48 PM
rosana

I got it. You can close your eyes, plug your ears, but could not clip the nose. Ha! Ha! Thanks. I could use all the comments.