Is Rome worth seeing ???

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 01:02 PM
Hapless Traveller

Is Rome worth seeing ???

I thought I might go to Rome for a day or two, but some of my friends are saying it's a bit old and run-down. Of course, I don't want to invest so many hours only to discover that I'm disappointed, or that Rome isn't exactly what I expected! Also, I'd hate it if something happened somewhere else while I'm in Rome, and I missed out!!

So anybody out there who's been to Rome, or even just heard of it - please help me out here: is Rome worth seeing? Will it meet my expectations? Is it like I think it is, or like my friends say it is? And should I go, or are there better uses for my time?

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 01:10 PM
Buyer

Dear troll, in response, I'd say: no.

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 01:11 PM
Michelle

Two words -- Mo Ron.

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 01:18 PM
Jenny Bell

I'm sure most Italians would tell you it would not be worth your time & money to come to Rome. On the plus side, though, Rome, Georgia would probably welcome you with open arms.

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 01:26 PM
Duh

Before attempting this again, I suggest you take the correspondence course in effective trolling! You definitely need it, as your first attempt is a disaster!

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 01:56 PM
Happy traveller

Va fangulo
trolko

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 02:05 PM
Capo

Rome is certainly worth seeing but you have to watch out for the chariots.

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 02:19 PM
xxx

Oh, you should't go. They have this real dangerous fountain that, if you accidentally drop money in, you'll end up going back again and again. How boring is that?!

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 03:12 PM
What Friends

You are getting some very bad advice from your "friends" but that's ok. Leave Rome for the rest of us who love it.

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 04:17 PM
Capo

Oh, I forgot to mention something else important: watch out for the gypsies in Rome! One of their favorite ploys is to throw a purse or wallet at you and then, when you go to catch it, they'll steal your baby. Don't say you weren't warned!

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 04:45 PM
Surlok

And another warning: watch out for the scooters, too. Someone runing one can kidnap you ( unless you're too overweight..)

Old Nov 22nd, 2001, 03:33 AM
Lori

Hey Surlock and Capo, don't distress this very interested and seemingly unexperienced traveller. All he is asking for is advice. Hapless, don't worry about the gypsies, they probably won't bother you at all. But yes, be carefull with the chariots.

Old Nov 22nd, 2001, 06:43 AM
Keith

Dear Hapless, just returned last week from Rome. Do not, I repeat DO NOT! pass on Rome if it within your power. Anyone who says pass on ROME is nuts. To stand in the middle of the Colosseum and walk to upper decks and look down is worth the trip alone, not counting the ancient roman ruins right next to it, or walk on the ground of circus maximus, remember the movie Ben Hurr? And all of this is easy walking distance, not to mention all the other 'thousands' of unbelivable museums, plaza's, let's not forget the Pantheon. Come on, you must be pulling everyone's leg to even jest that you have the time but wouldn't go to Rome. It's wonderful. Enjoy!

Old Nov 22nd, 2001, 07:40 AM
Lori

Dear Keith:

You have been had.

Or have we been had????

Anyway, lets ignore this thread.

Old Nov 22nd, 2001, 08:46 PM
Sue

Yes, you're right; Rome is "a bit old". That's why most of us go there.

Old Nov 23rd, 2001, 05:46 AM
Falcon

I was disappointed in Rome. And not many soken English so I wasted alot of time trying to get around. The service in bars and restaurants is very slow. It was just too different to things back home I guess.

Old Nov 23rd, 2001, 08:48 AM
Anna

Mmm. Skipping Rome would be like skipping the pyramids in Egypt or the Eiffel Tower if Paris or the Empire State Building in New York. My advice: Go to Rome. Yes its old, thousands of years old. That's what makes it so special.

Old Nov 23rd, 2001, 07:27 PM
Chris Fox

I actually thought this was mildly amusing. More importantly, it was on the mark. There have been a rash of "Is ________ worth it?" posts here over the last week or so ... Bratislava and Romania particularly stick in my mind, but I know there were a few more. I'm sure people aren't trying to be obnoxious, but what an insensitive and pointless question! How would you like people discussing whether your home city/country is "worth it" or "worth seeing" or "worth a visit"? And anyway, how can anyone answer that question without knowing your interests and tastes and desires and what you desire to gain from traveling? Ecccch. If you thought this post was bad, then please think twice about your language before posting a serious one next time!

Old Nov 24th, 2001, 04:15 PM
Kay

Rome is one of my favorite cities in Europe. It is my favorite city in Italy!

Old Nov 24th, 2001, 06:46 PM
Miami traveller

I just got back from Italy a few weeks ago. There are lot of interesting things to see in Rome There are much prettier cities in Europe, but few as grandiose (Paris being notable). Something to watch out for if you're male: some bar owners will try to fleece you by bringing bimbos to your table, shaming you into buying them drinks, and then jacking up the price later. Somtimes they have a "plant (another seemingly bewildered tourist)" outside to draw you in. A lost a lot of money one night that way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -