Is Rome Train to Airport Safe at Night?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My niece and I have an early morning flight (6:20am yikes) out of Rome in April so I'm wondering if it is safe to travel by train to the airport at approximately 4:00am?

We are staying close to Vatican City (already booked) so a taxi is about 55 euros I have heard. I read also to expect a higher charge on Sundays and holidays. Is that correct? We are traveling on a Sunday. I'm thinking we may just need to plan to spend the money and take a cab. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 10:49 AM

According to Trenitalia, the Leonardo express doesn't run at 4 am.

http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...003f16f90aRCRD
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 11:06 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>We are staying close to Vatican City (already booked) so a taxi is about 55 euros<<<

Taxi is a set fee of 40€ to the airport.
http://www.adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-r...-/pax-fco-taxi

The Sit Bus Shuttle runs from near the Vatican (Piazza Cavour), but doesn't depart early enough for an international flight.

If your flight departs from T5, you will need to be there a couple of hours before departure time.
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 01:48 PM

Contact Romeshuttlelimousine.com and see what their rates are. I think private transport to the airport early in the morning is worth the price but I would hire a car rather than call a taxi. You can set it up before you leave on your trip. The car we hired was in front of our apartment exactly on time. Others have also said they like Rome Shuttle Limousine.
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 02:18 PM

The train does not run that early. Even if it was running, it would make no sense to take a taxi to Termini and then the L Express.

With that early a flight it is NOT an international flight back to the US but a domestic flight to somewhere else in Europe for your connection back to the US. So you don't need to be in the airport much before 5 AM. At that time of day check in and security will be pretty quick.

Check with the hotel, but they should be able to arrange a shared shuttle to the airport for two in the range of 35E for two. The fixed taxi rate is 40E for day time and I believe it is 50 (or maybe 60) for night time. A 4:30 am pickup will most likely be consider night time.
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 02:29 PM

I think I am in error. For some reason I was positive there was a night time surcharge but cannot find it.
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, great information! We are flying to Amsterdam, then connecting to Canada.