Is prior accomodation booking necessary

Nov 5th, 1998, 03:50 PM
Shalini

Is prior accomodation booking necessary

Hi,
We are planning to go to Germany around Dec 20th on a week's trip. We are planning to drive along the Romantic road. As our itenerary is not finalized we thought we will just take the hotels as we go along. But I am not sure if it is a good idea. Will we have any problems if we do not have prior booking for the rooms.

Thanks
Shalini

Nov 5th, 1998, 04:14 PM
Tom

Shalini - Been to Rotenburg and down the Romantic Road numerous times. The last time was in June. Never made any reservations and never had any problems finding a "zimmer frei" or gasthaus accomodations. That is the way I prefer to travel without any obligations.

Nov 6th, 1998, 04:49 AM
mustangs91

I concur with Tom. I have never made reservations (except first night if I am getting in late). I don't want to be tied to having to find an unfamiliar address/town/country on a specific date. If I am approaching an industrial area late afternoon, I know that I will have some difficulty finding zimmer frei's or hotel so I would start looking for a hotel early or even change directions. I have a castle hotel map, if I find that I am in the area of a castle I stop to see if there is a room. I have only been turned away from a castle once. I have never had to sleep in the car! But I think the key is being flexible and being willing to knock on doors of private homes that display a zimmer sign (my husband has a problem with this so it's my job to negociate for a room) or staying in a room above a pub. Bottom line..we are comfortable staying at a wide range of lodging types. What I don't know is what will be open the last week of Dec. when you will be travelling.

Nov 7th, 1998, 08:54 AM
Bob

Prior reservations should not be a problem at this time of the year. We are heading to Germany on 11/26 and only have the first few days done because we know where we want to stay and it saves a little hassle. Get the Karen Brown book on Germany Inns and Castles. Good recommendations. Also, the zimmers do book early so find something early in the day rather than late. Always ask to see the room before you say yes. They expect you to do that as rooms are not always the same. Sometimes they will try to book you in the most expensive room as cheaper is easier to sell later or the worst location. If you do not like price or location simply ask for lower price room or better location. You will be surprised at what they come up with. have a great time. Visit Kathe Woolfahrdts in Rothenburg. Nice Christmas store.

Nov 9th, 1998, 07:36 AM
Emily Connolly

Hi Shalini,
I disagree with the above advice. While it is true that most of the time getting a room is not a problem in Germany, most Germans and many Europeans take Christmas week off. In Germany the 25 and 26 are holidays. Additionally, many places will already be booked for Christmas.
I would recommend booking ahead since this is a popular holiday week with Europeans. At a minimum, book your first nite and the 25 and 26.