Reload this Page >

Is pisa worth the trip?

Search

Is pisa worth the trip?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 04:45 PM
kristin

Is pisa worth the trip?

Going to Rome for a week and would like to take a side trip to Pisa. How do you get there and is worth using a whole day?

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 04:52 PM
Bob

I enjoy Pisa and have been by there about 3 times in 30 years. Having said that I would not leave Rome and take one day out of your week trip to see it. Too far and too many things to see in Rome. The way to see Pisa is when you are in the area and can do a quick drive by on the way north or from Florence. My advice would be to stay in Rome and see all you can there as you can spend a lifetime in Rome and never see it all. Save the one day train trip for when you have more time.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 05:50 PM
BillJ

I second that. If you must do a day trip out of Rome, take in Siena and San Gimignano. And what about Assissi! A little closer, and oh so much more history and charm. In IMHO, that is.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 09:10 PM
Rex

I agree, there are other better choices for day tripping from Rome. I'd go to Florence twice before going to Pisa once - - if I were not in a car, driving by.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 11:41 PM
Walter

By train it's ±3hrs www.trenitalia.com Regards, Walter

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 08:13 PM
Sue

kristin<BR><BR>I don't know that I would go to Pisa if I were in Rome. But, I thought it was great to see. <BR><BR>Maybe save it for another trip when you are going to see other places in that area. Not much else there, but not far away is Lucca which is an interesting town. <BR><BR>Enjoy!<BR><BR>

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 08:29 PM
L

When I went to Rome, I spent 2 days on the Amalfi coast and it was the most amazing sight I have ever seen. Then from there I went to Pompei and back to Rome. Total days = 6 days<BR><BR>Pisa is not worth the long trip just to see a leaning tower if you ask me. Amalfi coast is a nice break from the big city of Roma!

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 02:00 AM
Andy

Kristin-- I agree with Rex- if you are driving by, look --don't stop--<BR><BR>DEFINITELY NOT WORTH a day trip from ROme. I would ALSO do FLORENCE over Pisa anyday.......<BR><BR>Forget the Leaning Tower- buy a postcard and keep on going................

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 03:30 AM
Ron

I guess I am in a minority with regard to Pisa, but I thought it was a great site. Yes, there are other locations that are better to visit, but if in the general area, do visit. I have seen innumerable 'campinales' in Italy, but this is one of the most artistically designed and architecturally beautiful church towers, leaning or not! The church is also a monument to 15th century art, style and architecture.<BR>Pisa has earned the reputaion as a joke because of its leaning. Set that humor aside and enjoy its beauty.<BR>

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 07:48 AM
Ellen

Don't waste your time. Everyone told my husband and I not to bother, but we had to go see it. The tower is awesome, but it was way out of the way, so consumed too much precious travel time. It is also the most touristy place we visited, which tainted our enjoyment. We wished we had listened to the advice we had received.

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 07:55 AM
robin-k

I'll chime in agreeing with majority of opinions here. Take a pass on Pisa for this trip. Too much in Rome to keep you busy for the week. If you do want to opt for sidetrip, go up to Florence (merely a 1 hr 35 min trip on Eurostar train) or an excursion down to Pompeii.

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 08:29 AM
Sjoerd

Pisa is great! The leaning tower is nice, but after the day-trip tourists have left, Pisa is a real Italian town with relatively few tourists. Great food, great ice cream and very nice people. Stay for a night or two, you'll love it.